HybridZ

JR19 Wheel Size Help

Hello again. I am finishing up my LS swap https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/132113-spdrcr-ls1-and-4l60e-build-thread/ and it’s time to pick flares, wheels, and tires. I have been through about 40 pages of the wheel thread and have like 60 or more to go. I was going to go with a 15” rim but tires are nowhere to be found! (I do not want to run drag radials)

I am going to use lowering springs (eibach or zcardepot) KYB struts and wheel flares. 

I have chosen my wheels but could use some final advice on width, offset, and tires. I am going to use 16”JR19

117E0474-4BCB-471C-ACF0-B846B2FEBDCA.jpeg.7b40f1fad1cb11b822a63628978eef5e.jpeg

they come in variable offsets 

16x8 with 0 to -20 offset 

16x9 with -15 to -25 offset

I would like to run bf Goodrich sport comps. I do not want stretch look at all. 

255/50r16

245/50r16

225/55r16

should I do 255 in the rear and smaller in the front? Maybe 245 all around? Stagger the rim width? 

also I am likely going to run wide flares 2” front and 3” rear unless standard zg makes more sense with those wheels. 

what wheel width and offset should I select to fill out the flares? 

hopefully I made that clear! Thank you for any help you have. 

27 minutes ago, jhm said:

If you're planning to do any auto-x or track, I'd suggest "square" size your wheels and tires (i.e. same size on all 4 corners)...this will allow you to rotate all four evenly.

Good advice. I was thinking about that. I just worry about getting enough traction in the rear and clearance in the front.  

I would be happy with 245 all around. 

One of the big problems is reading through 10-20 year old threads and getting great recommendations only to find out they just don’t make the tires anymore. Especially in 15 and 16. I’d like to run 245/45r16 but only see 50 series

I want the same all around but it seems like different offsets in front and back is common. So I won’t be able to rotate anyway. The JR19 rims I like don’t come in 9.5. The rotas don’t come in colors I like. Want all bronze. 

so here are my thoughts right now. 

Front 16x9 -15 with 245/50

rear 16x9 -25 with 255/50

will I have issues in the front? Should I go 8” with 225?

There's actually a few good selections in your desired 245/45-16, in a variety of tread patterns and tire compounds:    Yokos, Toyo, Hoosier, Pirelli...any of these meet your needs?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=245%2F&ratio=45&diameter=16&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All

• 3 weeks later...

Inspired by an ad for 15x9 wheels in our classified sections (sincere best-wishes to the seller, but those particular wheels are a bit too heavy for my tastes), a search on tirerack.com for 15" tires isn't as bleak as I'd worried.  For example, these: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival+S+1.5&partnum=44VR5GFRS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes look like a good candidate.  Not to dissuade Spdrcr or anyone else, but perhaps our misgivings about 15" tire selection are a bit excessive.

That said, a bigger problem, I think, is finding reasonably light-and-wide wheels in the Datsun 114.3 mm bolt circle.  The aftermarket offers fantastic support for the Miata and its 100mm bolt circle, but selection for 114.3 mm is poor.

We had somewhere (maybe moved to the FAQ?) a handy recitation of proven diameter/width/offset combinations.  Unfortunately the more dedicated enthusiasts seem to have all moved to coilovers, and with the resulting narrower spring-perches, that allows for more positive offset.  Then there's the lament, that modern wheel choices skew towards FWD offsets anyway, especially for 4-lug bolt patterns.  Perhaps I should reconsider the aforementioned gentleman's ad for those 15x9s?  Sorry to have merely stirred the pot, instead of offering anything actionable.

Oh, and Spdrcr - what was the weight on those wheels?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping this thread, first to inquire as to whether the original poster has made a purchase and has results to report, and second to note that the link that I posted in March, now seems to be dead.  That is, 15" tire choices have dwindled even further.  The largest (widest) for my purposes, that is currently available, seems to be this one: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=CjwKCAjwmeiIBhA6EiwA-uaeFZorYZPfqBgMhIOxDF64xOmrK1xyQKiFDPcbf6Bu1BaWu53B4_p7zRoCt94QAvD_BwE&tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+R888R&partnum=35WR5R888R&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Toyo_Proxes+R888R_Tire&code=yes&ef_id=CjwKCAjwmeiIBhA6EiwA-uaeFZorYZPfqBgMhIOxDF64xOmrK1xyQKiFDPcbf6Bu1BaWu53B4_p7zRoCt94QAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72322456933!!!g!99873502813!&gclsrc=aw.ds .  These are 235/50 R15 Toyo Proxes.

Edited by Michael

On 8/16/2021 at 11:30 PM, Michael said:

Bumping this thread, first to inquire as to whether the original poster has made a purchase and has results to report, and second to note that the link that I posted in March, now seems to be dead.  That is, 15" tire choices have dwindled even further.  The largest (widest) for my purposes, that is currently available, seems to be this one: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=CjwKCAjwmeiIBhA6EiwA-uaeFZorYZPfqBgMhIOxDF64xOmrK1xyQKiFDPcbf6Bu1BaWu53B4_p7zRoCt94QAvD_BwE&tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+R888R&partnum=35WR5R888R&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Toyo_Proxes+R888R_Tire&code=yes&ef_id=CjwKCAjwmeiIBhA6EiwA-uaeFZorYZPfqBgMhIOxDF64xOmrK1xyQKiFDPcbf6Bu1BaWu53B4_p7zRoCt94QAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72322456933!!!g!99873502813!&gclsrc=aw.ds .  These are 235/50 R15 Toyo Proxes.

I would recommend to use 16" rims as then you can also upgrade brakes to large size with no issues.  I am running 16" x 8" with 245 45's on all four corners with no flares no rubbing https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=94545&width=245/&ratio=45&diameter=16&rearWidth=235/&rearRatio=50&rearDiameter=15

You can get these all street legal tires: Yokohama A008P, Advan AN052, Bridgestone Potenza Sport, Pirelli Pzero Rosso, Pirelli Pzero Collezione, Pirelli Cinturato P7 in 245 45 16

• Like 1

Primaz, you're quite right about the relative abundance of 16" tire choices, over 15".  This seems to be becoming even more of an issue with each successive passing year.  Recently I sold some parts to a fellow who appeared in a Honda minivan... the usual trappings of family-life in the back...strollers, toys, grocery bags filled with various stuff.  But the minivan was sporting 19" wheels, with 245-50 tires!  They actually looked like Panasports... only giant-ones.

Thus about tires.  But what of wheels?  Spending some idle hours in the wilds of the internet, looking at wheels in 16x8, 0 offset, 4x114.4, with 73.1 hubs, I found... precious little.  Spdrcr's choice (see for example here: https://jr-wheels.com/category/jr19, or here: https://basewheels.com/62877-jr-wheels-jr19-wheels-flat-black-16-inch-8j-et0-4x100-114-3) was a rarity, hitting all of the requirements.  As for JR-brand wheel-weight, this pdf: https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/files-2208/1528618050_JR20weights202B20lip20sizes.pdf is a nice compendium, but is missing info specifically on the JR19-model.  The JR11 model is similar, from which we can guess a weight of 7.8 kg, or 17.2 lb... not light, but not heinous either. 

Then again, Tire Rack lists a BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 tire in 245/50ZR16, as 27 pounds.  So for a wheel-tire combo, some 60% of the weight (or more) is the tire.  Perhaps it's dumb (beyond a certain point) to cluck and fuss over the weight of the wheel?

Edit: 245/45-16 tires look to be a solid 5 lb lighter than 245/50-16!

Edited by Michael

Hey guys. I have had a go around with finding wheels in the right size, right style, right bolt pattern, right offset, right color and price. 

I purchased a set of JR19 wheels from a place that ended up being out of stock. they refunded my money but the British pound to dollar conversion changed during the weeks and I lost $50. Still fighting that. 

then I looked at other options and decided to go with 17” even though I think they may look a little big for some cars but great on others. After looking around I saw the Rota group buy info from like 7 years ago. That ended up being 

17x9 -13

17x9.5 -19

and looked really good. 

the problem is the 17x9 for the front is rare. The one I found had a machined lip which I did not want. So I had to decide if 

1 get the right size but wrong color

2 get the 8.5 -10 and risk being too small in front 

3 get 9.5 -19 all around and risk fitment issues up front. But can rotate all around. 

the Rota are even available on Amazon. Tire choice is much better in 17 too. I’ve never seen a Z in person with 17 so it was making me worried.  

anyway I made a last look around and saw Driftworks had JR19 in stock so I did a calculator. Ended up ordering bronze

16x9 -15 

16x9 -25

they have not come in yet. I also ordered 2” and 3” flares from Jendoza which haven’t come in either. 

Now comes the big tire decision. Right size, right compound, right price. 

I am deciding between a sticky tire like the toyo r888r or the fallen rt660 but am worried about mileage. I am cheap by nature and I know it will bother me to have to get new tires a lot. But how much will I drive the car? Dang tires will probably rot before I wear them out. 

my other choice is a performance summer tire. Like the BF Goodrich sport comp. not as sticky but more reasonable wear and cold weather capable. I won’t drive in the snow or anything but do like to cruise around all year. I may go to the track eventually but maybe not. 

I am thinking 255/50/16 in the rear and 245/50 front. I like the bit more sidewall of the 50 but again worry about rubbing. If I could make it happen I wouldn’t mind 255 front and rear but really don’t want rubbing issues. 

Yes, I remember that Rota buy; it was quite the extravaganza.  But weren't those wheels a bit on the... heavy side?  That at least was my sentiment at the time.  So I searched for alternatives... Konig, CCW, Enkei, XXR, and a dozen others.  None had the magic combination of backspacing (or offset), bolt circle diameter, hub diameter and width. 

Weld wheels shows an example for a 280Z, here: https://www.weldwheels.com/gallery/fire-orange-1972-datsun-240z-weld-s77-forged-wheels/ .  But if we look closely, we see 5 lugs.  Perhaps, at $800/wheel, they'd be willing to drill for 4 lugs?

As for the 16x9, the usual questions:

1. Do you have coilovers?

2. If you affix flares, would you also cut/weld the fender?

I don’t have coil overs. Bought some KYB shocks and was going to get the Eibach. They were out of stock and I decided I didn’t want progressive springs since they got mixed reviews. 

pulled up a bunch of threads on cut chevette springs. Problem is the price on those is super stooooopid. Not cheapies anymore. So I grabbed a set of Moog 80099. 

I already have the KYB so figure I’ll give it a go. If it doesn’t work out I’ll have to go coilover since options are so limited. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2021 at 7:28 PM, Spdrcr said:

I don’t have coil overs. Bought some KYB shocks and was going to get the Eibach. They were out of stock and I decided I didn’t want progressive springs since they got mixed reviews. 

pulled up a bunch of threads on cut chevette springs. Problem is the price on those is super stooooopid. Not cheapies anymore. So I grabbed a set of Moog 80099. 

I already have the KYB so figure I’ll give it a go. If it doesn’t work out I’ll have to go coilover since options are so limited. 

I would recommend to upgrade with coil over setup.  With good quality coil over's you would be able to go even wider than 245 since you have mild flares as I have coil overs on two of my stock body 240z cars with no flares, no rubbing and am running 245 wide tires on all four corners.  If I had added flares to give 2-3" more space I would be able to over 255's and run 265 to 285's.

You can see one of my 240z's with no flares running 245's on all four corners so if you have flares I would be wanting to go wider.  Why cut the car and add flares if you are running the same size tires you can run without flares?

DSC02681.JPG

DSC02682.JPG

On 9/16/2021 at 3:25 AM, primaz said:

I would recommend to upgrade with coil over setup.  With good quality coil over's you would be able to go even wider than 245 since you have mild flares as I have coil overs on two of my stock body 240z cars with no flares, no rubbing and am running 245 wide tires on all four corners.  If I had added flares to give 2-3" more space I would be able to over 255's and run 265 to 285's.

You can see one of my 240z's with no flares running 245's on all four corners so if you have flares I would be wanting to go wider.  Why cut the car and add flares if you are running the same size tires you can run without flares?

DSC02681.JPG

Do you know the offset on your wheels?  Has your car been lowered?  Are you running negative camber on rear?

Great looking car, too!