HybridZ

Shaved roll pan, couple of questions

fusion

I am going bumperless in the rear and am shaving the roll pan on my 280z.  I know the large holes can be filled in with sheet metal and welded.  What about the recessed areas and threaded holes?  See picture.  

For area 1, what have people done?   I was thinking of getting set screws in the threaded holes and welding closed.  But what about the large recess?  I really don't want to fill it in with Bondo.  Maybe just fill in the threaded holes and leave the area recessed?

Same questions for area 2.

Pictures would be really nice.

Thanks

20210214_153834.jpg

Edited by fusion

On 2/14/2021 at 4:50 PM, fusion said:

I was thinking of getting set screws in the threaded holes and welding closed.  But what about the large recess?  I really don't want to fill it in with Bondo.  Maybe just fill in the threaded holes and leave the area recessed?

Since there will always be a next owner at some point that might want to go back to bumpers you could just squirt some sealant in the holes then add little filler to smooth it out.

I'll echo what grannyknot said. As for the indent in the middle, I would leave it, and just smooth it out. It'll add a bit of visual interest to the otherwise smooth rear end, I find a totally plain/smoothed out rear end on these cars doesn't look great, too much space with not enough going on. Also not really keen on the idea of smoothing that bit out by just welding in more metal - seems like an opportunity for a moisture trap to create rust to me. 

If you plan on selling your car then for sure follow @grannyknot advice. Next owner may decide they want a bumper. If it’s going to be your life long car than smooth it and make it how you want it. I agree with @rturbo 930that a totally shaved and smooth roll pan looks a little plain. My plan for my roll pan is to make it from a new sheet of metal and have a buddy use his CNC machine to smoothly cut out the letters “DATSUN” in the back and put a lighted backing behind it to give it some character. But I don’t plan on selling my Z until it becomes impossible for me to drive.