HybridZ

Large Flare Sizing and vendors

280Z-LS3

Searching for good fitting ZG flares to fit 275 front and 315 rear tires.  Currently looking into purchasing the wheels after mocking up the suspension up to appropriately size offset of 9.5" front and 11" rear wheels.

Searching here and around the web reveals plenty of builds with these size tires but flare sizing and brand is not clearly mentioned.

Retro Spec has a wide ZG set at 3.25" and 3.75" front and rear.  However, many members caution dealing with Retro Spec as of lately.

Margugen Shoukai are quality and the thickest "Special" model are recommended.  However, it's unclear if they made a wide version to fit above wheel/tire.  Jesse at jesse@jessestreeter.com will ask MS and get back to me.

Has anyone dealt with https://jdmfenderflares.com/

Any other info and leads on good fitting flares?

Thanks

Right, I saw that too.  Just can't find any info the actual size of the "deluxe" type.

And more confusion is that Jesse got back to me saying after contacting MG they offer 1" ZG flares.  I detailed in email to Jesse wanting a large size for the 275 and 315 tire and that was the response.  Lost in translation?

I'm sure you saw on rhdjapan site that they offer the wide rear flares, but only in standard type.  They list the width at 5cm over stock.  I would assume this is true for the deluxe version as well, but they don't make it easy to find the information out. https://www.rhdjapan.com/marugen-shoukai-rear-extra-wide-over-fenders-s30-s31.html

5cm would be too small I think.

MiKelly used RetroSpec flares.  He said they were 3.5" wide rear with 315 in his build thread so thinking I need at least that much clearance.  The RS web page says their flares are 3.25" front and 3.75" rear so some conflicting info there too.   The "InZanity" 240Z build used 315 on 11x18 rear as well but can't find what brand he used or where sourced.  Getting good fitting flares in this size maybe a challenge.  The search continues...

• 2 months later...

Agree on the "Works" style flares, that's what I'm using, on my car.

HOWEVER!!!

They are designed for a short style tire, not modern 24.5/25.5", you will have trouble fitting the diameter, even if the width isn't a problem. I know I am! Streeter should be able to order you the Works style fenders. 

These also won't work without modification on the front of a standard car, they are designed to be paired with the G-nose front end. 

Purchased a set of Jendoza flares and initial fitment looks good, hugs the body contour nicely.  The over all width is 2" front and 3" rear when measuring the flare its self.  Installed on car the added width over stock fender flare is approximately 1" front and 1.5" rear.  Don't know if I would like using a larger flare, this size seems about right. 

What I have found, both front and rear, the limiting factor of positive offset of wheels is the coil over threaded spring seat interference.  The front has 11.75" and rear has 11"  from spring seat to Jendoza flare lip.  Curious that the front has a bit more room under fender than rear, must be result of different track widths.  I have the camber and ride settings loosely dialed in close final measurements.  The car is still on stands.

Considering ditching the 315 rear tire, no way will it fit with the Jendoza flare.  Thinking of running a square 275 on all four corners with 10" wheel.  Added plus would be ability to rotate tires. Need to check if one offset size will work front and rear.  Since the rear has smaller offset that would necessitate using a wheel spacer on rear. 

• 2 months later...

No wheels yet.  Ordered and took delivery of some Marugen Shoudkia front and rear flares.  In the process of redesigning the rear strut tube to allow for more inward wheel fitment so I can use the Marugen flares.  Hoping modifications will allow for fitting 315 tires on 18x11.5" wheel with these flares, it's going to be tight!  The section tire width of 315s are around 12.8" and actual rim width is 12.5".   The Marugen extra wide rear flares I have measure 3.5" total width not added width from existing stock flare.  My build is unique and the pinch points are the strut tubes.  Most likely the same pinch point for stock Datsun suspension with coil overs but not certain. 

You should not have any problems fitting 275s on all corners.  Just triple check offset with a jig or set of wheels.  One thing to consider is the offset front and rear.  The "look" some people go for is having more "lip" on the rear compared to front which necessitates wheels with different offsets thus making it near impossible to rotate tires even using spacers.

Those are the first flares i purchased.  They should work for 275s all four corners by my measurements.  The rears are too small at 3" for 315s.  Build quality is fine but not as good as the Marugen Shoukia which were purchased from https://www.rhdjapan.com/marugen-shoukai.html

Marugen Shoukia flares fit better than JDM but cost twice as much due to shipping cost from Japan. 

No pics yet.  Still a few months out at least because have not even ordered wheels yet. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 5:48 AM, antwanray said:

Any word if the jdmfenderflares will fit 17x9.5in -20offset with 275s??

The ones from rdhjapan do not!  Will be selling them as I have already chosen my wheel/tire combo. 

@antwanray did you try the "extra wide" over fenders that Marugen makes? I had to buy these after purchasing the regular set. The extra wides extend approx 3.5" from the fender.