HybridZ

L24E Maximum Bore

Beezer-99-

I have an '83 Maxima wagon and have been interested in swapping out the engine for an L28, L28E, or L28ET, but was wondering if there was anything that I could do with my L24E to save some money. Would it be worth it to fix it up? Would I be able to get 250-300 horsepower out of it with bolt-ons? I know the L28E and ET could handle some large numbers, so would this block be thicker and handle more? I was mainly curious what would be the maximum bore on an l24e block, if there's info on that. I've looked through the forums but haven't found anything on maximum bore or what parts (besides the mn47 head) are useful if any. I'm interested in a stroker, or a turbo setup, or even just what may give me a decent power boost overall. This may be more of a question for our Aussie brothers and sisters who have more experience with the L24E from the R30 lol. Thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, Beezer-99- said:

I have an '83 Maxima wagon and have been interested in swapping out the engine for an L28, L28E, or L28ET, but was wondering if there was anything that I could do with my L24E to save some money. Would it be worth it to fix it up? Would I be able to get 250-300 horsepower out of it with bolt-ons? I know the L28E and ET could handle some large numbers, so would this block be thicker and handle more? I was mainly curious what would be the maximum bore on an l24e block, if there's info on that. I've looked through the forums but haven't found anything on maximum bore or what parts (besides the mn47 head) are useful if any. I'm interested in a stroker, or a turbo setup, or even just what may give me a decent power boost overall. This may be more of a question for our Aussie brothers and sisters who have more experience with the L24E from the R30 lol. Thanks in advance!

It would be well worth it to drop your head on a L28 block . The bottom end is more stout in the Z engines . But your head makes for a sweet hot rod . It will be a considerable bump in CR . I would put the bigger 44 intake valves in the Maxima head and a 54 L block and hold on!!

10 hours ago, Beezer-99- said:

sorry friend. 250hp on an NA L24E will cost you $10-15k and will not be enjoyable to drive on the street. 300 is impossible NA without NOS. Adapting a turbo will cost you the same on an L24 as it will on an L28. If you really want those power numbers, consider a modern engine swap, an L28et from a 280zx with bolt-on mods and tuning $4000, or throw $5000 at an NA 280z and turbo it. 

On 2/23/2021 at 8:16 AM, madkaw said:

It would be well worth it to drop your head on a L28 block . The bottom end is more stout in the Z engines . But your head makes for a sweet hot rod . It will be a considerable bump in CR . I would put the bigger 44 intake valves in the Maxima head and a 54 L block and hold on!!

On 2/23/2021 at 10:21 AM, AydinZ71 said:

sorry friend. 250hp on an NA L24E will cost you $10-15k and will not be enjoyable to drive on the street. 300 is impossible NA without NOS. Adapting a turbo will cost you the same on an L24 as it will on an L28. If you really want those power numbers, consider a modern engine swap, an L28et from a 280zx with bolt-on mods and tuning $4000, or throw $5000 at an NA 280z and turbo it. 

15 hours ago, munters said:

My l24 has 274 bhp and is a blast to drive and perfect for the street. As easy as stock to handle. But the costs are in the 6 to 8k range.

Thanks all for the info! I will probably end up going with an l28e or l28et and go from there. but now I have a baseline!