HybridZ

Ditching the distributor. Racing application.

Hey all. I have my head back from the machine shop, and now looking into alternative ignition systems. SCCA is only prohibiting magneto ignition systems for my application, so I would like to ditch my distributor and look into a system utilizing a crank sensor. Hall effect or optical, I’m open. I would like to be able to adjust ignition timing as well. 

this is for a racing application, and I’m looking to rev around 8000rpm with the head mods I have made: .500 lift, 320 duration, 109 overlap, Same for i & E, bee-give springs and custom retainers. I like the reliability and resolution of distributor-less electronic ignition at the higher RPM’s. 

any suggestions? 

1 hour ago, DuffyMahoney said:

So either coil packs or coil on plug.  I am using R35 coils, lots of people use the LS style coils with good success.  

Crank sensor is a bit up in the air.  Does your dampener have an ability to add a trigger wheel?

your response is appreciated :) 

yeah I can add magnets to the dampener (drill press) or a trigger wheel. I doubt the wheel adds enough weight to throw it off-balance. I’m pretty handy, as long as it doesn’t need to be precision machined. 

I see several on the market, but thought I’d start here and get some feedback from folks with first hand knowledge. I have used the SDS Hall effect sensor for many years on another application, but that is a more sophisticated system than I need just for ignition trigger only (with carbs). 

Hi, My Z is running with Megajolt for nearly 10 years now with no problem.

Motorsport Electronics in UK is also doing a "box" called nodiz that seems to work very fine (I'm having their ME442 ecu to run in my soon-to-be Turbo Miata)

You can see my build here => https://forum.autosportlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3557

Edited by Lazeum

1 hour ago, Lazeum said:

Hi, My Z is running with Megajolt for nearly 10 years now with no problem.

Motorsport Electronics in UK is also doing a "box" called nodiz that seems to work very fine (I'm having their ME442 ecu to run in my soon-to-be Turbo Miata)

You can see my build here => https://forum.autosportlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3557

Hey this is interesting! looks like it does what I need it to. It says it needs the ford EDIS module. Can you help explain that a bit for me? 

Also looks like its intended to receive inputs from separate crank trigger and output to separate coil packs. Any reference which make/model is should look into? 

Edited by AydinZ71

I have a Kameari Distributor set up if interested . Still a distributor , but made for racing , so good for 10k rpms all day . 
Microsquirt is another option . You could drill your flywheel for your hall sensor . I’ve been running that set up for years 

9 hours ago, madkaw said:

I have a Kameari Distributor set up if interested . Still a distributor , but made for racing , so good for 10k rpms all day . 
Microsquirt is another option . You could drill your flywheel for your hall sensor . I’ve been running that set up for years 

I looked into the kameari, but one drawback is the need for a very specific pump/diff shaft. It’s also quite pricey. Il take a look at the microsquirt! Thanks for the feedback! 

4 hours ago, clarkspeed said:

The standard for 30+years is the electromotive stand alone. I believe the megajolt is similar but open source and there are some others out there for use with carbs. All the EFI systems have multiple ignition solutions built in.

I do like how the megajolt uses OEM auxiliary components. That’s a cost saver for sure. I will compare cost with electromotive. Heard of them, but never had direct experience.

I used the SDS system for years on the L28et, and really enjoyed how simple it was to tune. An expensive system though, and overkill for a carb only application (as you eluded to). The hall-effect sensor worked flawlessly though, and I installed the magnets in an hour with a drill press and calipers. 

looks like I’m leaning towards the megajolt so far, with the TPS. According to their literature, My 320 duration will not be stable enough at low RPM for a MAP sensor to advance timing as effectively. 

thanks for the thoughts! 

Going with electronic ignition is not only good for better control & stability of timing, it also allows to control timing when engine load is low.

It will make your engine running way smoother but you will also have way more torque available with part throttle. Hence, It will lower your fuel consumtion quite significantly. It also reduces average engine temp.

Total cost on my side to convert from dizzy to electronic ignition: 1000€/$

Side question about EDIS controller: you need coil but also a module to control spark, that's what called EDIS. So you have Megajolt =>EDIS module=> Coil pack

Edited by Lazeum

4 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

I looked into the kameari, but one drawback is the need for a very specific pump/diff shaft. It’s also quite pricey. Il take a look at the microsquirt! Thanks for the feedback! 

I have the shaft also . Wouldn’t talk you into any direction - but it is an option vs stock ignition