HybridZ

R200LN Diff questions

zTrollop

Yo, I have an R200LN on my 280z im swapping a vq37 into it.

I haven't opened it up to see what the ratio is, or the condition. Either way I would like to rebuild it, or swap it out all together. 

what rebuild kit would you recommend and if you can attach a link. 

I've never rebuilt a diff so any tech sheets/link into rebuilding a R200 floating around? 

With the VQ37, you will be running what? Near 300ft-lbs of torque? You should make getting an LSD a priority. With that much torque you will just be spinning one wheel. Even with an LSD, keeping traction will be a struggle. You can swap the open diff spider gear with an LSD assembly from MFactory, Kaaz, quaif etc. I believe top-of-the-line is adjustable clutch OS Giken, but I think they are near $2,000. 

if you want to swap it out entirely and go with something bulletproof, look into “invincible extremes”. He sells parts for swapping in a mustang GT diff, axles, and hubs. 

16 hours ago, NewZed said:

I've never seen a kit.  This guy, below, has parts you might need.  They're pretty durable and don't often even need rebuilding.  The Factory Service Manual has a section on rebuilding the diff.

https://zcardepot.com/search?q=differential&type=product

agreed. If you keep the diff from going dry, I have not yet experienced ring-pinion combo wear out just from normal use. I have crushed spider gears by getting on/off the gas too harshly with a worn-out diff mount.

I ran dry once as a silly kid who forgot to fill the case. Stank to all hell, and got so hot the paint on the diff burned off. It was toast. 

Edited by AydinZ71

I’m gonna 2nd what @AydinZ71 said above about getting a LSD. The R200 itself can handle the VQ torque (the 370Z/G37 have a more modern version of the R200). It’s your Half-shafts that you need to be worried about. Techno Toy Tuning has great, but pricey, rear suspension setups that use a R200/230 or a Ford 8.8 complete with CV axles. The kit by @Invincibleextremes changes the entire rear suspension to use regularly available of the shelf parts from mustangs and neons with a Ford 8.8. And Apex Engineered has a whole subframe that allows for R200/230 and Ford 8.8 (I’m going with Apex, and they are also finishing up a front cross member with VQ mounts). All these option convert to CV axles with backing plated hubs that will keep the tire on the vehicle should one snap.