HybridZ

Wide body Options for a 240z?

Wow 12” is wild! I don’t know of any standard body kits that will fit tires that wide. 

just a thought, you will be getting diminishing returns the wider you go for street tires. As in, 12in will not get you much more traction over 10in. Slicks are another story. 

is this for a drag racing application? Can’t think of anything else you would want wheels that wide on. 

4 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

Wow 12” is wild! I don’t know of any standard body kits that will fit tires that wide. 

just a thought, you will be getting diminishing returns the wider you go for street tires. As in, 12in will not get you much more traction over 10in. Slicks are another story. 

is this for a drag racing application? Can’t think of anything else you would want wheels that wide on. 

In the glory days of 240Z racing, all the IMSA GTU road racing cars all ran crazy wide rear tires....something like 345s on 12" wide rims.  I know you are talking about street cars, but I have always wondered if such wide tires were needed even in a pure racing application.  They were relatively low HP cars....probably 300-325 HP...and of course such wide tires are invariably heavier and potentially less aerodynamic.

@Nelsonian to the rescue! I wasn’t aware he had fenders for 12” wheels :) I just got an OEM FRP hatch from him. Great quality! 

@Ironhead yep it’s the street tires what get me suspicious. At some point, the added rolling resistance, weight, and inertia  outweigh any incremental increase in traction. The tire compound will have a much greater impact bang-for-the-buck than going from (for example) 10-12” with street tires. 

unless of course this is just for aesthetics... 

ztrix.com IMSA fenders are wider than the YZ stuff if that sounds appealing to you. I have read that back in the day they ran 16x14 or 16x15s. I have rear flares that were taken off of the molds for Frisselle's car, and they fit my 15x14s like a glove. Always thought the BSRs looked a bit wider, might be where the 16x15s come in...

IMG_2258.JPG

threequarterview.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have the old Jim Cook Racing(JCR) kit on my car. It’s obviously a look that not everyone is down for but slot of guys used this kit for drag racing back in the day since  it could accommodate wider wheels and tires then just fender flares. The kits isn’t available like the ztrix kits but they do pop up from time to time.

784D5035-7E38-4193-B2F5-F16962D33036.jpeg

D26FFBD7-6B8D-469B-AEA1-C9C981970BD7.jpeg