HybridZ

Unique Factory Oil Cooler O-ring, what is the part number?

himself

It's not 21334-R2400, please read below.

I have a 1982 L28ZXT engine from a 280zx with a 5-speed manual transmission, which (as some may be aware) did not come standard with oil coolers.  The cars with automatic transmissions did come with oil coolers but the manual transmission versions had to be requested from the dealer and as such they are exceptionally uncommon.  The annoying part about this is the MT's oil cooler is different than the AT's oil cooler and uses a completely different O-ring on the engine side.  The AT oil cooler everyone is familiar with mounts at a 45-degree angle downward while the MT oil cooler mounts horizontally.  Does anyone know the part number of that O-ring? (Again, it's not 21334-R2400, that's the AT version.)

I've attached a photo of the oil cooler mounted on the engine and what the O-ring against the engine looks like, it's about 1/4-inch thick, ~67mm inner diameter, and has a square cross-section. I have found two Nissan O-rings that looks similar (part numbers 21304-JA11A and 21304-JK20A) however I cannot find their dimensions to see if they would fit.

DSC_0060.JPG

oring.jpg

On 3/16/2021 at 12:42 PM, lowrider said:

If you have the dimensions from the original it would be fairly easy to look up a comparable o-ring from some where like McMaster Carr.

Ah, I had not considered MC, thanks I'll check that.

On 3/16/2021 at 3:27 PM, Mayolives said:

Have you looked at nissanpartsdeal.com?  

I did and they only have the AT version. Thanks though.

Is it a Nissan part or aftermarket?

Seems like you could peel the gasket out of a filter and it would work, if you find the right filter.  A sensible engineer would design the seal to match an oil filter seal, since the sealing surface is the same.

p.s. the Nissan filter would be the obvious starting point.

p.s. 2 that gasket would not normally be considered an "O-ring".  It's a gasket.  O-rings are more complex, although a quick Google shows that the term is being dumbed down (no offense) to refer to any gasket that is round.

https://www.parker.com/Literature/O-Ring Division Literature/ORD 5700.pdf

@NewZed Very good reference material. I always prefer to rely on experts, and Parker certainly qualifies as such.

I have set up inventory systems using McMaster's naming conventions and they use "square (as well as others) o-ring".  I'll be sure to alert them tomorrow!😁

• 2 weeks later...

To close out this topic for anyone else looking for this part, the oil cooler O-ring from a 2003-2006 350z (Nissan part# 21304-JA11A) is a perfect fit replacement for a 1982 L28ET with the rare horizontal oil cooler option for manual transmissions.