HybridZ

Mq l28 patrol turning over but not starting

Mq..patrol

I just replaced a head gasket on my l28 and I am 90% sure that the timing chain is in the right place to the cam sprocket and the harmonic balancer  ( a bright link is on number 1 on the cam sprocket and the harmonic balancer is on 0 degrees) but when I try to start it, it turns over and backfires out the exaust and sometimes though the carb. I think it might be the distributor but I'm not sure how to get that to the right position. Any help will be appreciated. 

The bright/marked links only work if you know where both of them are. The far more important thing is to set the block and cam both to TDC and then simply put the chain on wherever it falls.

The bright links won't line up on the marks correctly every rotation, and it's entirely possible you have the chain in the wrong spot if you didn't verify the bright link on the crank gear as well.

I recommend you turn your balancer to TDC and look at the cam sprocket to see if the TDC mark lines up.

The notch and line/groove should be pretty closely aligned with the balancer at TDC and the cam lobes on the #1 cylinder should both be upright away from the rockers.. Positions 1, 2, and 3 are for accounting for chain stretch so it could be any one of those.

post-8864-0-20360300-1441765973.png

Edited by ZHoob2004