HybridZ

Has anybody have problems dealing with ZCAR DEPOT?

toolman

Has anybody have problems dealing with ZCAR DEPOT?   Previously, I have purchased mostly small items and stuff.  But recently had

a fitment problem with a brake master cylinder from them.   I tried to call them at 844-8652473, you get a answering machine which is

full so you can not leave a message.   The only alternative coarse of action is to email them at sales@zcardepot.com and hope they answer 

you.   Their products are better than others but to me, their customer service is really terrible.   If you had problems with them, please

comment here so others will know too.   Maybe they will improve their customer service.

13 minutes ago, toolman said:

Has anybody have problems dealing with ZCAR DEPOT?   Previously, I have purchased mostly small items and stuff.  But recently had

a fitment problem with a brake master cylinder from them.   I tried to call them at 844-8652473, you get a answering machine which is

full so you can not leave a message.   The only alternative coarse of action is to email them at sales@zcardepot.com and hope they answer 

you.   Their products are better than others but to me, their customer service is really terrible.   If you had problems with them, please

comment here so others will know too.   Maybe they will improve their customer service.

Surprised you're dealing with this. How long has it been?

I've had nothing but positive experiences. Last time they messed up anything my order they sent me the correct part completely free and didn't even ask me to return the incorrect small part that had gotten mixed up.

26 minutes ago, Zetsaz said:

Last time they messed up anything my order they sent me the correct part completely free 

How long ago?  

I've read a few things.  The company is run by one guy and I think he's getting too big to keep up.  

I have been dealing with Zcardepot for a number of years.  Hardly a month passes that I don't purchase from them.  And yes, they haven't been answering phone calls since the China virus came along.  But they have always answered my emails in a timely manner since then.  IMHO, they are a solid place to do business with, far better than MSA.  Perhaps this situation is a product of our new world where emails and text messages vs phone calls and in person, or "eye to eye" contact is becamming a thing of the past.  I'm becoming an old guy and prefer personal contact but I'm trying to deal with the changes.   

I think they are all bad , but I’m just a grumpy parts buyer I guess.

I think it’s BS that Z Car Depot doesn’t take calls . Business has never been better so let’s offer less service . I’ve been dealing with Ryan from the beginning . It was better when they answered the phone . I don’t get the mentality to save a buck by giving cutting customer service which in turn looses business . 
All the vendors are riding the wave right now with Z values going up . MSA sent my stuff to my old address  that I haven’t lived in for 10 years . That’s after thousands of dollars of business at my new address. 
They all sell some junk stuff - but for the most part I’m happy we have choices .

Datsun Garage isn’t much better - they don’t answer the phone nor does Whitehead Performance . 
I’ve have done about 5 Z’s in the last 10 years . I just figure this is about what you get messing with old cars . 

46 minutes ago, madkaw said:

I think they are all bad , but I’m just a grumpy parts buyer I guess.

I think it’s BS that Z Car Depot doesn’t take calls . Business has never been better so let’s offer less service . I’ve been dealing with Ryan from the beginning . It was better when they answered the phone . I don’t get the mentality to save a buck by giving cutting customer service which in turn looses business . 
All the vendors are riding the wave right now with Z values going up . MSA sent my stuff to my old address  that I haven’t lived in for 10 years . That’s after thousands of dollars of business at my new address. 
They all sell some junk stuff - but for the most part I’m happy we have choices .

Datsun Garage isn’t much better - they don’t answer the phone nor does Whitehead Performance . 
I’ve have done about 5 Z’s in the last 10 years . I just figure this is about what you get messing with old cars . 

As values continue to climb I often wonder how the aftermarket Porsche community compares. My car is slowly starting to become nice, but I was talking to a friend recently about how Datsun guys are unfortunately really cheap. Often not willing to pay for quality, but still happy to complain. I wonder if the general demographic affects the quality of customer service some parts places are able to provide. Skillard has been consistently great, and other than issues explained in other threads, I've had a great experience with Apex.

It's a double edged sword I think. As prices go up, maybe customer service will improve as people with greater pickiness and demands are in the Datsun market.

• Like 1

After couple of days of emails, I am happy to say that ZCAR DEPOT finally realized that there was a fitment problem with their booster.   They are working on a solution.

If they improve the customer service, I think everyone will be happy.   ZCAR DEPOT will also get increased sales.

Edited by toolman
correction

Ex parts counter guy chiming in. COVID has made most automotive shops beyond busy. When I left my shop job, mechanical work was booked out a month, parts were backordered, dyno appointments were almost 3 months out, and the phones were ringing off the hook. 

All these operations are small, even the ones that seem big are likely only 4-5 people. All these shops are trying, but I suspect demand has them absolutely buried right now. Techno Toy Tuning has been very vocal about their delays. 

As for phones, if you're a small operation and you have the choice between answering the phone, and having a 15 minute conversation with someone who MAY make a purchase, OR you can pack 3 web orders, and make a call to figure out why your supplier sent you the wrong brake boosters, I think it's a pretty obvious choice. 

Not saying it isn't annoying, but cut these guys some slack. Apex Engineering, MSA, Z Car Depot, Datsun Garage, Whitehead and T3 haven't been around this long cause they screw people over. 

40 minutes ago, Ben280 said:

Not saying it isn't annoying, but cut these guys some slack. Apex Engineering, MSA, Z Car Depot, Datsun Garage, Whitehead and T3 haven't been around this long cause they screw people over. 

I'll 100% agree with this. I've legitimately had no issues with any of them. Just need to be patient, especially right now. I waited 3-4 months for my bumpers from Z Car Garage and they were great about keeping me in the loop even though sometimes the update was "our supplier has sent them but they're stuck at port and we don't know when they'll arrive." 

Same thing with Z Car Depot. One order mistake ever and they took care of it free of charge. I think all things considered our options do well with what they have. But like I said, unless we're happy to pay noticeably higher prices for everything, customer service won't be perfect every time. Would require more employees all around. 

My only complaint with Zcar Depot is the parts that they make or have made for them don't ever fit properly. I stopped ordering that kind of stuff but I find their service as far as filling orders and getting them out promptly pretty darn good.

I try to cut them slack where I can , but some of the stuff they do - like other small businesses is bad. I am on day two of getting a refund or return “ approved “ I sent an email and pic as requested . It was a very recent purchase . It’s obvious the part made was of poor workmanship . Even though I spoke with the vendor , it has to go to the owner for approval . Meanwhile I’m in limbo whether I get my money back or buy another product or buy from  another vendor . It’s not rocket science , it’s just a bad part . It doesn’t need to go to congress to make this BIG decision . 
When a customer has spent 5 digits worth of parts over the years , I think the vendor should cut me some slack and realize I am a valued customer .

I've ordered from them a few times. The only issue I've had is they didn't send a part, I asked for an update, and they replied "Oh its back-ordered for 12-16 weeks. We'll let you know when we get them in." They were prompt about issuing a refund when I asked for one, though. 

18 minutes ago, calZ said:

I've ordered from them a few times. The only issue I've had is they didn't send a part, I asked for an update, and they replied "Oh its back-ordered for 12-16 weeks. We'll let you know when we get them in." They were prompt about issuing a refund when I asked for one, though. 

That’s another pet peeve with these vendors . They don’t k is their stock . I’ve been told things have gone back order and the stuff shows up 2 days later . Not sure how they can be that disorganized 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, carcrazyken said:

I used to order most of my parts from z car depot . When they stopped answering the phone I quit ordering. Personal preference but I want to be able to talk to someone.

That’s my biggest issue . I had a question regarding their parking brake cable. I emailed them . One week later I got a response . It would have taken 10 seconds on the phone . I ordered the part anyways because I had given up on getting an answer . Fortunately the product was what the pic showed and the answer matched the product . If not , then I would have had to return it, and probably lost shipping money on part of the transaction . 
They could do a better job with descriptions if they don’t want to answer questions . IMHO 

I will say I’ve had more issues with MSA and they have been in business a lot longer if that says anything 

• 3 weeks later...

Z DEPOT did refund me for the  brake parts that did not fit properly on my car.   It took about a month of communicating by email as they don't want to 

talk on the phone.   Hopefully they will return to using the telephone as the Pandemic comes to a end.

Toolman

I've had good luck with Z car depot, bit I guess all businesses drop the ball from time to time.  It is important to remember that many/most of these Datsun parts sellers are one-man operations.  It doesn't give them much flexibility if they get busy or things go wrong.  Many of them drop communication first when they get busy, which is 100% the wrong thing to do.

TTT is definitely an exception.  I've been in there several times over the past 4 years building my car, because they are only 30 minutes from me.  At first it was a quiet shop with perhaps 3-5 people working.  Now they are on fire, like a full grown factory.  The shop is overflowing with inventory while perhaps 12-15 people struggle to fill orders.  Good to see the Datsun aftermarket is booming.  I know TTT sells parts for other cars, but I am pretty sure Datsuns are the bulk of their business.