HybridZ

240z SCCA vintage race car, restoration

@jhm thanks John!! Yeah I fabricated the sway bar mounts over a year ago, before paint, so I’m glad to see they work as intended. They are tight! I mean… really tight 😂 zero play, and it responds immediately. Far cry from OEM in hindsight. 

yeah I got the set for $500 locally! I can’t afford all this race car stuff without getting it at steep used discounts. Now I need a set of wheel levelers, as my garage (aka, 1920’s cellar) is wildly uneven. 

I’ll get the fender and hood on, so I can take some more shots of it moving around. Really happy with the way it handles so far. I did string alignment, but I need to re-do it on a flat, level surface. 

Edited by AydinZ71
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the big day came this past weekend. Car was road-worthy. Took it for a spin up my local mountain road, and put a massive smile on my face. Front air dam is next, then more suspension adjustment. Need to look into driver safety gear, and would be inclined to source used if possible. Although not really sure if that’s a practical solution. 

I missed my local annual SCCA driver school, so I’m kind of ****** until next January. Gives me a year of track-days and more time to develop the car I suppose. I may drop-In the 3.1L race motor I developed, since I have no need to confirm with class rules for at least a year. 

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_2500.jpeg

IMG_2502.jpeg

IMG_2501.jpeg

IMG_2499.jpeg

IMG_2504.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

Need to look into driver safety gear, and would be inclined to source used if possible. Although not really sure if that’s a practical solution. 

I was going to suggest just going and looking at the clearance rack at the Simpson factory store in Harbor City, but it appears they've closed up shop in the last couple years. That's really a shame. It was great to have a place like that locally. Cheap but new gear and also could get measured for a top-of-the-line custom suit. Looks like they moved everything to Texas. 

@calZ Bummer :( Well heck, there is a scenario where flying-out to an outlet would be worthwhile. I need literally everything for driver safety gear, so it’s going to be a big spend however I slice it. My lesson learned over the years has been to start cheap and used if possible, until I get an appreciation for where to spend the $$, and where it doesn’t matter. 

Edited by AydinZ71