HybridZ

Shock boots?

Silly question:

I have seen folks with boots over their shocks, and many without. Not sure if those folks had worn ones and just took them off. To put the record straight, do you need dust boots on your shocks? I suppose if dirt gets into your shocks dynamic seal (the surface the face of the shock goes in and out of), it will prematurely wear out the shock. 

I've tried using the boots with a couple different brands of shocks, and they never seemed to stay in place correctly (even with zip ties, etc) or they caught up in the springs and got torn up.  Gave up on them a while back, and haven't observed any ill effects in last several years. 

If you're using certain models of Bilsteins (I think both the -30 and -36), it's important to retain the "wiper seal" that's provided with the gland nuts.

Thanks guys! Yeah the stock gland nut seems to work OK with the Koni's, but its not a perfect fit. I suppose its only job is to compress the shock just a bit to keep it from moving in the strut tube. 

I will try without the boots. Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 months later...