HybridZ

Stock 280ZX Turbo Support Bracket?

dogmeatk

Does anyone familiar with the 280ZXT know if the stock turbo was supported by a bracket to the block? My Saab had a steel bracket to isolate the cast manifold from dynamic forces applied by hanging the turbo directly off of it. Seems like a smart idea to avoid cracking the cast manifold. I finally added my missing turbo and am wondering if I am missing a bracket or if they just never came with one. I searched for pictures but didn't find much from the underside of a stock setup. If there was one, does anyone have a picture of the mounting points?

7 hours ago, dogmeatk said:

Does anyone familiar with the 280ZXT know if the stock turbo was supported by a bracket to the block? My Saab had a steel bracket to isolate the cast manifold from dynamic forces applied by hanging the turbo directly off of it. Seems like a smart idea to avoid cracking the cast manifold. I finally added my missing turbo and am wondering if I am missing a bracket or if they just never came with one. I searched for pictures but didn't find much from the underside of a stock setup. If there was one, does anyone have a picture of the mounting points?

hey there. I have an L28et in my 71’. Never saw any dedicated mounting brackets. The turbo is held in place in 2 ways: from the exhaust manifold 4-bolt mounting flange, and the downpipe which is connected to the exhaust system which is mounted to insulators on the underbody. Not sure if more support is sufficient, but you would need to be very careful if you do add it. Needs to be supported by the block, not the chassis. The block vibrates quite a bit relative to the chassis so mounting to the chassis is not ideal. 

You could add more Isolation mounts from your intake to the compressor and to the exhaust leaving your turbo, if you are concerned about the lack of support. Don’t forget the turbine housing and manifold get red-hot so I wouldn’t mount anything directly to those two.