HybridZ

In the process of welding a front clip on to my 71240z

I've just moved to Vegas from CA I had my 71 240z in the shop where it sat for 2years. They said I needed a new front clip. I was unable to find one from a 240z but I did find a 280z front clip. Long story short I purchased it had it sandblasted and c.           So now I have cut my 240z down to the point of adding the front clip. I'm now trying to align the front clip for welding any help would be appreciated thanks can supply photos

2 minutes ago, Douglasjo240z280z said:

I've just moved to Vegas from CA I had my 71 240z in the shop where it sat for 2years. They said I needed a new front clip. I was unable to find one from a 240z but I did find a 280z front clip. Long story short I purchased it had it sandblasted and c.           So now I have cut my 240z down to the point of adding the front clip. I'm now trying to align the front clip for welding any help would be appreciated thanks can supply photos

Couldn't think of powder coated but it been sandblasted and powdercoated.

20210316_130637.jpg

That is a major undertaking, first off you will need the correct dimensions for the car, by either measuring it yourself or check this thread, https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/33933-chassis-and-body-dimensions-for-us-240z-available/

You might also want to build a full length jig for the car and after removing the old section just place the new section on to those same support points.

That the air scoop/vent is one of the aftermarket originals made back around 1973 to help deal with the carb heat issues.

Edited by grannyknot

You are aware that the front clip you bought isn't going to be identical to the one that came off the car right? What year is the front clip from? A later 280Z front clip will have even more differences than an early one. Why did the car need a front clip versus simply repairing the one that was there? Primary difference will be the radiator support. I don't know what your end goal for the car is, but if you ever sell that radiator support is gonna be a red flag for a good number of buyers.

And what alignment issues are you having? Without specifics there's not much we can do to help. 

• 1 month later...

I think you may be a little extreme in replacing the entire front clip based on your pictures. I'm restoring a 240 that seems a lot worse. Depending on one's skill with a welder (mine is marginal) there's a lot of patching you can do and make virtually unnoticeable through the magic of filler.

https://bestweldinghelmet.net/types-of-welding-processes/