HybridZ

Engine was rebuilt,running now misfires, and distributor selection.

Hello guys I this is an old tread, I already rebuilt the engine and it worked good, I took the heads to machine shop for a rebuilt (it was a blown head gasket antifreeze got mixed with the oil)however I decided to change the distributor harness because it was kinda loose, so because the wires were a lil different to the stock one I decided to adapt it, and soldered the wires, after the mechanic put it on time it started right up. I went for a ride and the car was running really good, the problem is that while driving i heard a big sound by the distributor  and smoke coming behind the car ,I know I didn’t have much fuel as I was on my way to a gas station, then my dad decided to bring me gas and put some on the carburetor, it was causing a lot of flames, I towed the car back home and the mechanic opened the distributor but it looks good but it makes a noise when I am trying to start the engine, and the fuel comes right up the carburetor, like explosion the mechanic checked inside the engine by the distributor and looks very clean and the rotor it gets aligned all the time, he thinks it might be the timing chain, now it won’t start, he said. The distributor rotor doesn’t turn the way it supposed to, I’ll record it next time he tries to start it.he is coming next Tuesday so I am getting a new distributor and have it handy just in case that’s the problem.

now the golden question.... which distributor is better for my application it’s a good wrench gen 1 4 bolt pre 1985, edelbrock 6073 heads,edelbrock performer intec, 1406 carb, I was looking into ACDelco 93440806, MSD8362,  or autozone Duralast Gold New Distributor BDLG-GM08 just because I have $50 store credit(could use it on oil change though) I want to get the best option for the money, budget is around $200s, spans do you guys have any idea or suggestions about what could be related to my problem? 
thanks guys for your support on this matter. Sorry guys for the Rocky.

7CEE23D2-8A9A-439D-A725-0A7D72532751.jpeg

People probably saw your other post.  You wrote a lot of stuff but it looks like you just want to know which distributor you should buy.  Your new post has the same misspellings and bad grammar and run-on punctuation.  Really hard to read.  Couldn't you have spruced it up a little bit?  Looks like you drank ten cups of coffee before writing it.

Why don't just fix the one you have?  It's just a small block chevy distributor.  

22 minutes ago, Jaconense777 said:

now the golden question.... which distributor is better for my application it’s a good wrench gen 1 4 bolt pre 1985, edelbrock 6073 heads,edelbrock performer intec, 1406 carb, I was looking into ACDelco 93440806, MSD8362,  or autozone Duralast Gold New Distributor BDLG-GM08

No need to apologize.

It doesn't sound like you need a new distributor.  Your mechanic is suggesting that the distributor timing is off.  The chevy small block distributor is driven by the camshaft, which is driven by the timing chain.  It sounds like your mechanic thinks that you've lost cam and distributor because the timing chain or timing gear is not working right.  That fits with the fuel spitting back through the carburetor.  The valves aren't opening and closing correctly.

Unfortunately it might also mean bent valves.  A simple way to check would be to measure cylinder pressure.  If you get the same numbers from each cylinder then you might be able to fix the timing chain/gear and be okay.  If you have bent valves you'll probably get some zero pressure cylinders.

Good luck.  Be prepared for bad news though.

3 hours ago, Jaconense777 said:

after the mechanic put it on time it started right up. I went for a ride and the car was running really good, the problem is that while driving i heard a big sound by the distributor  and smoke coming behind the car ,

the mechanic opened the distributor but it looks good but it makes a noise when I am trying to start the engine, and the fuel comes right up the carburetor, like explosion the mechanic checked inside the engine by the distributor and looks very clean and the rotor it gets aligned all the time, he thinks it might be the timing chain, now it won’t start, he said. The distributor rotor doesn’t turn the way it supposed to,

Yes, it certainly sounds like a timing issue -- either ignition timing, or cam timing, or some combination of both.  It seems as though the issue first started occurring shortly after you made some repairs to the distributor wiring...is that correct?  If so, that gives you some sort of starting point for your diagnosis.

As NewZed suggested, things may be bent or broken internally.  You can do a lot of inspection without running the engine.  Remove the spark plugs and valve covers, and start turning the engine over by hand (a large breaker bar on the harmonic balancer nut gives you plenty of leverage to turn the engine over, clockwise, while inspecting the valvetrain for damage).  A small digital borescope is invaluable -- they're cheap and compatible with your smart phone, and can be used to visually inspect all kinds of tight spaces that are hard to access (e.g. interior of cylinders via the spark plug hole, camshaft gear via the distributor hole on the intake manifold, etc).  Don't try starting the engine again until you're sure that you have the correct cam timing, and the ignition timing set as close to correct as you can get with the engine off.

If you decide that you absolutely need to replace the distributor, you can't go wrong with any of the big name HEI units.  I've had good luck with MSD and Accel for aftermarket; and I like AC Delco for OEM.

Hello guys,the distributor was tested and it’s in good working condition, however I found out that timing chain is loose, so I’m going to replace the timing chains. The camshaft is also damaged, so I would like to get the best camshaft available for my engine, google tells me that COMP Cams CL12-600-4. But I would like to get the best for my application, as I have mentioned before I have 6073 edelbrock heads they’re 195cc Intake Runner Volume however it was previously ported out so it could be higher.  performer 2101 exhaust manifold, 700R4 4 speed overdrive transmission, hooker headers..

what else is needed as basic information 

FYI I’ll be using a Holley 4150 670cfm street avenger carburetor, (I’m replacing the 1406 edelbrock carb.)

(the reason why I asked all these questions is due that the mechanic just do the labor, so I have to do the research and get the parts ready for him, so the next time he comes he can work on the car.) thanks for your help.

Since you already have Edelbrock heads and intake manifold, I would call Edelbrock and ask for their suggestion(s).   They have excellent tech support, and offer a wide range of cams to fit your specific setup and intended usage.

I've never done it but I've seen that most of the big cam shops can recommend a cam based on parts and plans.  Probably also the drive gears and other odds and ends.  

They want people to call.

https://www.compcams.com/products/comp-camshafts.html

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I just wanted to thank everyone for all your support and suggestions, I did narrowed things down and it was the camshaft, I already replaced it and added a new timing chainsaw well, the car operates well now, I know is a long journey but the car has everything operational, I just need to open a new trend about a good radiator. Best regards.

• Like 1