HybridZ

Eibach Lowering Springs

Hello everybody, I’m new to the Z community! Quick question. I read post a few years ago but I guess I’m still kinda confused. So I have a 77 Datsun 280z. I had purchased Eibach Lowering Springs and KYB excel Gs. Eibach  # 6303.002 REAR and 6303.001 FRONT. The rear suspension went very well. I did have to compress the rear springs to get the middle nut to seat. But my issue is the FRONT springs. With everything put together, I have the middle nut completely bottomed out. There is no tension on the spring and it is very loose and moves around. I even got new bump stops with bellows and made no difference. Any input would be awesome. Thanks!

C729A97E-08FA-4FFD-AEF9-BB9B0A56D535.jpeg

32CAA8DC-8EFC-438C-B0C1-4D3D528946A0.jpeg

8BDB717B-0A9D-4E50-A8BD-8467106158F4.jpeg

I'm confused.  Have you installed the front strut assemblies yet, with the car sitting (weighted) on the suspension?  If not, that should be your next step.  You'll want to do this to visually inspect how much bump and droop travel you have with the new springs installed.  Those rubber bellows may make it a little tricky to do, but this is a necessary step to ensure that you received the correct springs, and how the suspension is functioning with the new springs installed.

Nearly all "lowering" springs are quite a bit shorter than the stock springs, and will sit in the strut assemblies "loose" when the car is jacked (i.e. removing all weight from the wheels and allowing the suspension to droop freely.)  

One word of caution regarding the Eibachs:  while Eibach makes great suspension products in general, MANY people have had issues with their lowering springs for the S30.  Inconsistent lowering from front to rear, long settling times, etc, etc.  Several threads here on that exact topic.  Hopefully, that's not the case for you; and you find that your springs work well for you and meet your needs.  :-)

Thank you. I took out the jack stands and I put the weight of the car on the suspension. The front springs no longer move around and are no sloppy.. It definitely lowered my car. The rear end is definitely a little higher than in the front. Maybe the spring and shocks need broken in??? But I will post some after pics. FYI car is very dusty. Been torn apart in the garage for awhile!!!!

55F4AB6B-6886-4E96-987C-3589F9458E7B.jpeg

FE8B9089-8C9E-47D9-90DD-19AF86CD40EF.jpeg

0BD13598-100F-4A72-B34A-207438932077.jpeg

Yep, that looks good.  I've seen many instances where the front sits higher than the rear after spring installation; which was understandably frustrating for the owners.  And yes, the springs do tend to "settle" a bit over time.  

Another trick you can use to lower the rear is to replace the tall stock rear strut isolators with the short isolators (used on earlier-year models in the rear, and on the front of all years.)  This will typically gain you an additional inch of lowering in the rear.  I wouldn't try this until you've given the Eibachs a little time to settle and reach their final ride height.

Understood thank you. I will give it a couple weeks and drive and put miles on it. And if the rear is still not to my liking. Can I get away with replacing the rear insulators and install front insulators on the rear , or will they not fit correctly?!