HybridZ

Loss of Power at Differing RPMs in Differing Gears

TheRanger

Howdy,

I have had a '71 240z for about four years now, it's been running on an original motor with the more common head, not the E32 or something like that, I have had no issues really up until this week. The car has no problems up to 7000RPM in 1st and 2nd gear. However, when I put it into third, it refuses to go past ~4800RPM, almost complete loss of power, enough to keep me moving but losing speed. Then, in fourth gear, the engine refuses to go past ~4000RPM, same exact thing, not complete loss of power but almost all of it. Flooring the throttle makes no difference. I have a 280z 5-speed transmission in my Z, in 5th, same symptoms but at ~3500RPM. The weirdest part is none of these seem to take effect until I hit around 65-70 MPH. The problem peaked today when on the highway the car lost power till 20 MPH and I had to pull over, had a buddy buy me a fresh fuel filter from AutoZone. Replaced it and it was enough to limp me home, but it didn't solve the issue. If I remember right, the fuel pump is relatively new and electric, as well, the distributor is electric. Has no issues revving to these RPMs outside of 3rd, 4th, and 5th and at those speeds. I am completely at a loss for what could be going wrong as this is a new development after not touching anything inside the engine bay for weeks. To top all this off, the weather has gotten warmer so it isn't an engine too cold issue. Carbs warm or cold seems to make no difference, I'm lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

TheRanger