HybridZ

I blew up my kid's 240.....sorta

You can.

Somebody removed some of the cover bolts for some reason.  Might be a good idea to drain the fluid if it's a wrecking yard, they have to do that.  You might want to pull the cover and take a good look inside before buying.  Look for chipped gears, burned bearings, etc. You can pop the side axles with a big screwdriver or tire iron.  Sometimes you need a wedge, like a cold chisel to get them started they can be really tight.  Check the bearing seat and seal surfaces on the axles for scorching and wear.  People run them low on fluid sometimes.

Your R180 bolts are the same I think so you can use those on the cover if you get it.

Edited by NewZed

40 minutes ago, jvandyke said:

Old 180 would blow a lot of oil out the vent, should I consider tapping the vent hole to add a fitting and hose ……?

Race cars require the vent to be piped to a catch cab, but the vent usually has a baffle that prevents oil condensate from leaking out in normal use. It important to allow the case to be ventilated at all times since the gas space will expand and contract as it warms/cools. If you really wanted to route the vent, you could just “pop” off the hat on the vent and put a hose on the ~1/2” long nozzle that remains with a hose clamp. 

back home with the Florida R200, it looks like the pinion shaft flange will work, I'm waiting on the Technoversions mount and wondering about the mustache bar bushings, should be replaced I think, source?

I'm still foggy on the half shafts, I think I do need those off a 280 don't I?  the R200 is about and inch wider than the R180 so don't I need shorter half shafts? and a rear cover gasket, should get that.......

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you were able to get it in :) Can’t you just move the exhaust a bit? Do you weld? 

you can hack that little corner off, but the vibration may still cause the exhaust to hit it. Use a cut-off wheel, and go slow so you don’t cook your gasket. Time will tell. Good luck!! 

I'm with @AydinZ71 on this one....I'd rather adjust (or even dimple) the exhaust tubing vs grinding into your diff case. 

Regarding sources for the mustache bar bushes, I think I used ST last time I did this....no issues with them.  I don't know if the rubber OEM-style bushes are still available, but vendors like MSA Auto, Z Car Source, and Z Car Depot would be good place to start.  Also, just saw a post on FB about Bill's Datsun Shoppe in OR is having a going-out-of-business sale on a 30-year inventory of OEM and aftermarket Datsun parts....may get lucky by contacting them at(503)656-0756 .

Well I just nipped off that corner problem solved.  I used energy suspension bushings, seemed fine.  10 Mile Test Drive then back on the lift for torque check, No issues no noises not even spraining oil out the vent, yet. 1 million thanks to all of you for your sage advice. Ended up spending about 250 for the R 200 bar, bushings technoversion‘s front mount gasket oil, not too bad.EA6A0620-AE08-4B5F-BE3A-1EC1FBBD98EB.jpeg.82dbe4e85a7b1b750daa443ca6fe3633.jpeg

• Like 1

Did you grease the half-shaft u-joints while you had things apart.  Easier but you can still do it while they're in the car.  They'll last about forever if you keep them greased.  Tighter, more precise, than aftermarket.

There's a thin head screw that covers the Zerk hole.