HybridZ

My 78 280Z Starts and Runs Great But... Ignition Switch Issue Switch?

I have a bone stock 78 280z that I have had for about 20 years. About a year ago it would just stop running like someone shut it off. If I waited 15 minutes it would start and run great again, I thought it might be the ignition relay and changed it but it didn't help.  The first time you start after re-attaching the negative battery cable  it starts and runs great,  When I shut it off the red brake light in the speedo comes on and so does a little red light in the ammeter that says charging. I can also hear a humming noise that I think is the fuel pump.  

I think it may be the ignition switch is not turning off the contacts it should. I bought a new ignition assembly but haven't installed it yet.  Could a simple adjustment cure the problem? There is another ignition switch component  that you can buy at a parts store that I read about in some posts but do not know where it is located. Ant suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks