HybridZ

New Member, Turbo Triple Carb 240Z

Good Morning,

New member from the Los Angeles area. 

I've got a 240Z with a heavily built L28 running triple 47mm OER carburetors, an SK Compo Turbo surge tank and a Garret T3/T4 turbocharger.

I'm on the tail end of a complete restoration/rebuild project and it's mostly cosmetic stuff I have left to do. 

The car itself has a 5-Speed and is running/drivable. Still a lot of tuning left to do though. Next part of the project is to definitely clean up the engine bay. 

This is actually my first car project so I'm mostly learning as I go along. If you have any tips, please let me know. 

20210501_184130.jpg

20210501_184154.jpg

Your FIRST car project ? Really? Nothing like going for the gold first time out. Be careful with that ticking time bomb! Hope you have the timing locked down and a wideband to check AFR's . I almost went down that road but decided it was too scary and I wasn't knowledgeable enough about turbos to do it. I decided to go with efi programmable . I did the triple Mikunis and it was a blast, but got tired of changing jets .   

27 minutes ago, madkaw said:

Your FIRST car project ? Really? Nothing like going for the gold first time out. Be careful with that ticking time bomb! Hope you have the timing locked down and a wideband to check AFR's . I almost went down that road but decided it was too scary and I wasn't knowledgeable enough about turbos to do it. I decided to go with efi programmable . I did the triple Mikunis and it was a blast, but got tired of changing jets .   

This ^ 

If you are new to tuning, I implore you to run modest boost (6-8psi) I have blown several turbo engines and it has always been a matter of tuning. EFI is repeatable. Carbs wander on A/F ratio over time. In case this is your first experience with turbo’s, do some searching online on the term “detonation”, especially as it relates to boost. 

Don’t get us wrong, we love triple carbs. They are sexy and sound great. Certainly a performance bump from SU’s. They are however difficult to keep tuned, especially with thin margins like in a turbo application. 

17 hours ago, madkaw said:

16 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

This ^ 

If you are new to tuning, I implore you to run modest boost (6-8psi) I have blown several turbo engines and it has always been a matter of tuning. EFI is repeatable. Carbs wander on A/F ratio over time. In case this is your first experience with turbo’s, do some searching online on the term “detonation”, especially as it relates to boost. 

Don’t get us wrong, we love triple carbs. They are sexy and sound great. Certainly a performance bump from SU’s. They are however difficult to keep tuned, especially with thin margins like in a turbo application.

I do have a wideband to check AFRs.

I'm hoping an intercooler and forged pistons will give me some wiggle room while I tune this thing. Its more for show and I don't plan on running any crazy amounts of boost, 6-8 PSI seems right around where I'd want it.