HybridZ

Turbo Oil Drain AN Line Bend

Dat73z

Hi all, 

I'm wrapping up my turbo plumbing and wanted some feedback on the drain. 

I assembled 2 ends of Earls 10AN fittings. It looks like the stainless braided hose is about to kink with the bend and curve it needs to run from turbo drain to pan. 

This does not look legitimate to me and I'm looking for other options. I was thinking maybe if I can find some shorter hose ends to reduce the pressure on the hose or maybe just go to a push on/push lock style system for the drain which would give the hose more room to run the bend without kinking. 

Any thoughts? Or am I overthinking this and it looks ok. 

Thanks!

20210607_080815.jpg

20210607_080839.jpg

12 hours ago, Dat73z said:

Hi all, 

I'm wrapping up my turbo plumbing and wanted some feedback on the drain. 

I assembled 2 ends of Earls 10AN fittings. It looks like the stainless braided hose is about to kink with the bend and curve it needs to run from turbo drain to pan. 

This does not look legitimate to me and I'm looking for other options. I was thinking maybe if I can find some shorter hose ends to reduce the pressure on the hose or maybe just go to a push on/push lock style system for the drain which would give the hose more room to run the bend without kinking. 

Any thoughts? Or am I overthinking this and it looks ok. 

Thanks!

20210607_080815.jpg

20210607_080839.jpg

If it does not leak, you are probably OK. The oil drain is not under pressure. If you want to spend money, buy two 45 degree AN fittings. The ends should roughly be pointing at each other then. It would be right though, as the bends eat up distance. 

45 minutes ago, AydinZ71 said:

If it does not leak, you are probably OK. The oil drain is not under pressure. If you want to spend money, buy two 45 degree AN fittings. The ends should roughly be pointing at each other then. It would be right though, as the bends eat up distance. 

Thanks, yeah no pressure more concerned about the kink causing oil to back up. Good point I may try the 45 approach on the bottom line which would take up some of that kinked area. Looks like the top angle may be too extreme. 

20210607_211609.jpg

20210607_211723.jpg

Other option is to swap the fittings and hoses for PTFE (teflon) braided hose. The inner wall is more ridged on Teflon, and less likely to kink. Just an idea. Another idea is to use compression fittings with tubing. You can easily bend 3/8” steel tube with a cheap tool.  There is quite a bit of vibration here, but anealed tubing should put up with it without cracking. 

So I gave the angled fitting a try and no dice, the angle is close but stainless braid really doesn't want to give. It was actually a 30* fitting I think, the 45 would've been too tight from the T3/T40E to the AZC pan. 

I went ahead and ordered some 10AN push lock fittings and Parker hose. Hoping that'll bend a bit better. Will update when I get it all together. 

A -10 45 degree swivel with Pro-Lite 350 hose was the only combination that I could get to work for my turbo drain hose. You can get the hose with an internal reinforcement to minimize collapsing too but it wasn't needed since in my case since the hose portion is essentially straight.

Alright so no dice with the push lock fittings and hose but man they are so easy to work with. Assembly is a 3 minute job. May need to use them for my oil cooler and vent hoses. Hose kinks too easily. 

Since I already have all the flaring and bending tools from the stainless hardlines the new plan is to do the bend in hardline and run a short straight section of hose to absorb any movement. Although I'm not sure how much movement there will be seeing as the oil pan and turbo should not move. 

Will update when I get it together. 

20210610_165942.jpg

Now that I think about it again, I used TWO 45 degree swivel fittings. One of the fittings is a standard AN nut to hose adapter swivel seal, the other is a hose adapter to NPT swivel seal. Using a swivel seal fitting with a NPT built into it saves just enough space for it to work.  The hose adapters end up pointing each other at 45 degrees with a short piece of hose in between. I also had to rotate the turbo center section and fitting swivels slightly to get the hose adapters to line up properly. 

Edited by rossman

2 hours ago, Dat73z said:

Although I'm not sure how much movement there will be seeing as the oil pan and turbo should not move.

The factory didn't hard pipe the drain for a reason - there will be movement from thermal expansion. 

Thanks Rossman. After thinking about it more and measuring angles I think another 45 or 30 would work with a short straight braided section in between. Just need to dig through my boxes and see if I can find one. Pretty sure I have one somewhere. 

I can clock my turbo a bit too to line up the angles better. 

Edited by Dat73z

• 4 months later...

Realized I never updated. 2x 45s non swivel (for more clearance) did the trick. It's not perfect but it should work. Also realized I was cutting the 10an line all wrong. With a perfect cut, no frays, and some motor oil the line comes together really easily. The 6an and 8an was always more forgiving to me on this

20211030_203833.jpg

20211030_203846.jpg

On 10/30/2021 at 10:43 PM, Dat73z said:

Realized I never updated. 2x 45s non swivel (for more clearance) did the trick. It's not perfect but it should work. Also realized I was cutting the 10an line all wrong. With a perfect cut, no frays, and some motor oil the line comes together really easily. The 6an and 8an was always more forgiving to me on this

Looks good!  I'm sure it will be fine. My setup with two 45 swivel fittings only leaves like .5" of hose.  It's not ideal either but it hasn't given me any problems since I installed it in 2008.