HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure

Very nice.  I think its smart to do a little at a time.  Take some fix it, put it back.  I see to many projects where people just disassemble everything.  It becomes too much for some people and they never get it back together.  I mean, if you have the skill, time, organization, and tenacity, full disassembly\reassembly is fine.  But life gets in the way for most people.  

It DOES get overwhelming.   I changed my focus to "just a driver"....and "build it for me", as the scope of the project and the cost would have skyrocketed if I tried to maker it "like new".  I had to do it, as it was getting stressful

On 8/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, YoBrother said:

Very nice.  I think its smart to do a little at a time.  Take some fix it, put it back.  I see to many projects where people just disassemble everything.  It becomes too much for some people and they never get it back together.  I mean, if you have the skill, time, organization, and tenacity, full disassembly\reassembly is fine.  But life gets in the way for most people.  

What I am doing right now is what I call my "firewall forward" project.  Literally concentrating on the firewall forward, and luckily I have a good grip on it.  Big job left is both front struts, they are coming out, and getting new inserts and sprigns, painted all up and then the lower arms and everything sanded up and painted....already have new ball joints and new end links for the rack and pinion steering....everything there all cleaned up and re-assembled.  That is the big job left on "firewall forward". :)

11 hours ago, A to Z said:

What I am doing right now is what I call my "firewall forward" project.  Literally concentrating on the firewall forward, and luckily I have a good grip on it.  Big job left is both front struts, they are coming out, and getting new inserts and sprigns, painted all up and then the lower arms and everything sanded up and painted....already have new ball joints and new end links for the rack and pinion steering....everything there all cleaned up and re-assembled.  That is the big job left on "firewall forward". :)

Very nice, are you going to upgrade anything like poly bushings etc..

August 9, 2021, I got a few more things done today. Opened up the box for my MSA exhaust system. All of the bends are mandrel bends instead of muffler shop crimped bends', and it comes with a Walker performance muffler and a chrome tip. The 2 into 1 manifold extension is really nice I think. I painted it with 1200 degree temp flat black and install it. Then I adjusted my hood to close correctly and used a variety of sandpaper gits to sand the top if it down along with the top of the cowl and the top of the fenders and headlight buckets. the front of the hood gave me another unknown spot of bondo, but it is a thin coat. As you can see I gave it a coat of filler primer, and I will need to block the area a bit before color coat and clear. After wiping that down with a wet rag, I went ahead and pulled the horns apart and painted them, and sanded down the grille and painted it as well. before stopping for the day, I sanded out the edge of my wheels, which all 4 had minor road rash, as well as sanded down the backs of them, so they are ready for new tires. Afterward, I will polish them back out. I found that using my orbital sander with 60 grit paper, I was able to lay the rim on my lap and just run the sander around in a circle until the edge was clean and back to new looking. Then I went over the area again with 1000 grit to smooth out all the scratches and make it smooth. Here are some pics of the day.

c.jpg

b.jpg

a.jpg

d.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

j.jpg

k.jpg

l.jpg

m.jpg

n.jpg

On 8/9/2021 at 11:15 PM, A to Z said:

maybe later.  There are a couple of bushings that are shot and I got rubber to replace them.  I want it cruise nice on the street.......do you think the Poly's might make ride it too rough?

It will make it more firm..  I like them as it might compensate for all the years of wear and get it closer to new original quick response steering etc... Your choice.. Can always change it out later... 

8-12-2021. Knick knacks day. All the little things you ignore to get the big stuff done.....well, I decided it was time to get them done. In doing so, I went ahead and dropped in some new NGK plugs, and a set of Taylor spark plug wires that are meant to be custom cut to length. There is a video on YouTube of a guy doing it to his Z car, and after watching it, I went to Amazon and bought the plugs and the tool for 30 bucks or so to do the job. After more Knick knacks I put the grill in and it was dark. 🙂 Here are a few pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

5 hours ago, YoBrother said:

Looks great.  I like the way you routed the spark plug wires around the front instead of over the valve cover. 

5 hours ago, YoBrother said:

Looks great.  I like the way you routed the spark plug wires around the front instead of over the valve cover. 

More room down the road for the Turbo piping....

Somedays, you just can't seem to make any headway on the Z car. Today was one of those days. I managed to get most of the MSA exhaust on.....the center pipe has to be turned 90 degrees. I located the source of my starting woes, the Neutral Safety Switch and fixed it.....I got my headlights in, but they need some more work.....I'm, telling ya, today it really fought me on everything. 🙁

neutral safety switch.jpg

exhaust tip.jpg

muffler.jpg