HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure

• 2 weeks later...

After work I got a head start on tomorrows work on the Z car.  I went ahead and sanded up and prepped the driver's door and door jamb and painted it with the new clear which works SO well.  I want to try and get both doors back on tomorrow, so I can finish the dirty work inside....then mop it out top to bottom, and start getting all my new interior pieces in.  Here are a couple pics from tonight.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

10-18-2021 update. Well my "goal" for today was to get the inner door and door jamb on the driver's side in paint, and get both doors back on the car. I was successful. I posted last night, that I was able to get the door jamb and inner door in paint last night, which was great, as the paint was cured just enough for me to be able to re-install. In addition to the doors and jambs, I was able to finish up the floors on the driver's side and got it in paint. I then slid the car in the garage over to where I could work on the passenger side. It is currently off the jack stands. Next, it's time to work on the dash and console. Then some interior vinyl painting on the faded sections of red, get the stereo and speakers in, then install the new interior panels and carpet after a through clean up. Plenty of work to do. 🙂 After done I took some pics and the car looked grey for the dust from using the orbital sander on all metal filler around the gas filler door! Anyway, here are some pics 🙂

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

10-26-2021 UPDATE: Ok, I decided to heck with it and pull the whole dash! As I started I kept trying to talk myself out of it, but persistence pays off. As I am an old guy, and 6'2 and 250 LBS. there is no room.....it took me 4-5 hours, cut the hands up a bit but it is out! SO GLAD!!!! let me add a few..!!! I found a TON of dirt and crud in there.....I used the Klein Tools wire numbering kit to number everything. When you run out of numbers then you double up the numbers. The idea is that you don't spend the next 6 months un-crossing wires to get things working again. I want to say....there are a lot of guys giving absolutely GREAT info on doing this (google search), But I will add a few things to keep in mind. 1. It is NOT as easy as it sounds....2. You MUST mark everything. wait....I am being serious, mark it!..... And the best thing to do is, when it is 99% done....sit on the trans tunnel, and pull the dash out 8-10 inches and set it on your leg, and then mark and unplug the last stuff.....knowing, that you will, of course, put a blanket over the steering column and put it back together in reverse of this. NOW....you HAVE to , yes HAVE TO drop the steering column...at least on a 1972....the dash is bolted to it. Those bolts are 12mm.....everything else is 10mm....and THANK GOD there are no Torx bolts....all are Phillips or 10mm. You just have to be patient and mark every darn thing. WHEW!!!!! Well, I took SOME pics, hope they entertain. I tell you there was at least 2 inches of dirt and crap on top of the radio....the pic is AFTER I moved some of it. I had no idea....thus I am SUPER glad I pull the whole shebang. Now, I can address things such as .....LED gauge lights? (easier on the factory wiring) Heater hoses and valves? Eliminate ANY rust in the heater box AND blower assembly..any questions, PLEASE ask....I was SO hesitant to do this. IF A/C is on your mind AT ALL.....NOW is the time to make that decision. Let's do this ONE time, and do it correctly gents.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

50.jpg

LED Dash lights.

Easy on the original wiring, less heat....AND much brighter?

Jim Jeffers told me where he got his and gave me the part numbers.  So I went and got some!

You need:

7 of the BA9S-W-120-12VAC for the gauge lights (substitute the W with WW if you want warm white), 2 of the BA9S-G4-90-12 VAC for the turn signal sights in the dash, 1 of the BA9S-R-90-12VAC for the red BRAKE light in the dash, and 1 of the BA9S-B4-90-12VAC for the blue light in the dash for high beams on.  THANKS AGAIN to Jim Jeffers for all the great info! Now to figure out the dome light, map light, tail lights, parking lamps, etc!  As a retired electrician, I LOVE the idea of less heat on those vintage wires.

LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories | superbrightleds.com

Edited by A to Z

10-28-2021 UPDATE. Today was the day to pull the heater box and clean up the entire inside to get ready to put things back in when they are done. The fresh air vents on both sides were incredible. Absolutely STUFFED with dirt, pine needles, and mouse house stuff. the pic of the pile of stuff is just one side, NOT both! I also found more evidence that the little buggers were in there, the pics will show some of it. The before and after don't look like much, but it was a LONG day cleaning and cleaning. Oh yeah, the top vent for the heater intake in the cowl was rusty but no holes, I cleaned it up and painted it with some black I had. I could have masked it off I guess, but it is completely out of sight when the dash is back on. The portion in front of the passenger footwell, is where I used duct tape to fix the cracked and split insulation. By painting it back, it actually looks okay now. Here are some pics. 🙂 First the beginning:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg