HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure

11-6-2021 UPDATE: Well, I decided to take an easy day...just go ahead and put the interior panels in, then get the carpet in and other things.....WRONG! If you have never done interior panels, let me tell you....they do NOT just "go right in"....maybe NISSAN factory pieces, but the aftermarket DO NOT. You need your Dremel tool handy, and be prepared to "adjust" grind a little here a little there, and oh yeah, the bolts don't line up! Infuriating! I managed to persevere. But It took the better part of the day, with the last pics being after sundown. You can defintely see that the shock tower upholstery is faded, but no fear, SEM color interior paint is here! I would recommend getting it anyway, as you MAY nick some pieces up during install (I did). I already have a can of the NAPA red SEM paint. Anhyhow, here are some pics. If some seem redundant, please understand these are pics I keep to record the work done.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

11-7-2021 UPDATE. Wasn't expecting to have much, if any time today, as I needed to do a front brake pad swap on my Daily Driver Civic, and I slept in from being beat up working on this old Z car darn near every day.....So, I rolled out the new carpet and put it in. The contrast really sets everything off! I also pulled the seats, and pulled the factory spacers that were on there....I gained an inch of lowering, which for me at 6'2 is a God-send. I decided not to fight my factory luggage straps....they were really worn and tattered, so they went to the dumpster. The carpet....needs time to stretch out and get rid of the wrinkles, but here are a few pics of it.....it just magnifies the need to color paint my strut covers. I can't tell you how good it feels to see it finally coming together. NOTHING on the interior has gone easy.....every single bit has been pure a$$ pain. I also took some pics of the car and garage environment.....the big boxes are installed, and it just feels good, at the 5 month point, to be seeing SOMETHING coming of all this work. So, why did I decide to put myself through all of this? Because the Z's that I was seeing for sale had something about them I didn't like and for the price, was unacceptable. 20+ grand and a flat black and not compeletely done engine compartment....that kind of thing. Z's are supposed to have a body colored engine compartment....in my humble opinion. AND....I wanted an S30 Z car. So, I bought this THINKING it would be a little work....but 49 years old means A LOT more work than expecting. It just "feels good" to see it coming about. Here are some pics fellas.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Safe to say, NOT FOR SALE.  This is the car I should have bought 30+ years ago and kept.  SO HAPPY I got one before they are all gone....or too expensive to get.  I grew up with Datsuns, so it is natural to have one. :) I see a lot of views, but no comments.  PLEASE  say something, if it is negative, I can deal with it. :)

Edited by A to Z

11-13-2021 update: I had a few hours today, so I went out to the garage, and finished isntalling my console, auto shifter, and finished the installation of the MSA parking light and interior dash lighting upgrade. It does definitely make the gauges brighter. The clock is a tad bit dimmer....i think when i had to push the green inserts in, the one in there might be partially blocking the light.....I think if I pull the glove box, I maybe able to stick a small screwdriver in the light hole in the back of the clock and bring the brightness up. Anyhow, I then cleaned up some more interior bits to include the steering wheel. I put it in the bathtub and used an old toothbrsuh and comet and boy you could see the dirty hand oils coming off of it. Then I dried it and took alcohol cleaning wipes and scrubbed....and yes even more dirty oils came off, but eventually it was coming clean. So, I will leave it as-is, but CLEAN. Here are a few pics:

1.jpg

11-16-2021 UPDATE: Ok, well I managed to get some work done on my Z today. I went ahead and installed the door weather stripping and new kick panels. Installed the steering column trim after cleaning, and installed the cleaned up steering wheel and horn button. Next, I installed the seat belts, and I cannot figure out how the shoulder belts are supposed to hook on to the lap belts! After that, I went ahead and srubbed down some of the interior pieces real well with alcohol wipes, then I masked them off, and wiped them down real good with a rag and Denatured Alcohol. I went ahead and sprayed the faded areas with my SEM Color paint. Also began work on my center dash, vent face. Here are some pics:

Precision door weatherstripping:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg