HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure

12-12-2021 UPDATE: So I decided to go ahead and paint the tail and the hatch, and the roof portion from the hatch to the sunroof, and the back pillar sand almost half of the quarter panels. First I had to finish sanding out the bad spots. I got that done, and began sadning teh rest with my orbital sander adn 1000 grit paper.

(It actually privides enough adhesion for paint, and the majority of the existing paint is just cleared over....I simply go over the spots that need it with the white, then clear) Then the process of clean, tape off, and prep and then I went ahead and shot it with my Expresspaint.com Aerosol cans in 904 Kilimanjaro White where needed. After that I put several coats of aerosol clear with catalyst hardener in it, called "Spray Max 2K High Gloss Finish Clear Coat Spray Paint".

( EDIT: DO NOT USE THIS!!! IT HAS ISOCYANATES IT IN, IT IS VERY POISIOUS, IF YOU BREATHE IT IT CAN KILL YOU. I will go back to the non catylist clear. It will shine just like this but must be 2000 grit sanded and buffed, which is no sweat. I breathed some of this stuff today with a dental mask on and it is BAD!!! It was enough I can feel it now...WHEW!
Never Again! I went and read about it. )

Everything went pretty well, except for 3-4 spots near the gas door, where the paint didn't adhere properly and just ran. . I I started sanding it out to redo , but the sun went down, and the paint needed to harden a bit more before I could really get it ready to reshoot. I will give this paint 1.5 to 2 weeks, like I do on the rest to get hard before I even THINK of color sanding it with 2000 grit and polish it out. Even wearing a mask, it is tough on you. I really need to get out of there and quit breathing it. It's terribly bad for me. Here are some pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Edited by A to Z

On 9/29/2021 at 2:34 PM, Datz44 said:

I know that GREAT feeling when you're about to close the garage door and you glare at the car once more 🤓. And just feel so PROUD! 🤗 I plan to finish the clear sand/polish (can painted) after your feedback. @A to Z keep up the process!

20210709_103118.jpg

20210529_014617.jpg

SPRAY MAX 2K Gloss Clear....****DO NOT USE THIS!!! IT HAS ISOCYANATES IT IN, IT IS VERY POISIOUS, IF YOU BREATHE IT, IT CAN KILL YOU. **** I used it today and it screwed me up a tad even just a hour maybe 2 with a mask on (dental mask). VERY bad stuff. Please read and heed.

Edited by A to Z

SPRAY MAX 2K Gloss Clear....****DO NOT USE THIS!!! IT HAS ISOCYANATES IT IN, IT IS VERY POISIOUS, IF YOU BREATHE IT, IT CAN KILL YOU. **** I used it today and it screwed me up a tad even just a hour maybe 2 with a mask on (dental mask). VERY bad stuff. Please read and heed.