HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure

• 3 weeks later...

5-20-2023 UPDATE:  Reassembly.  Putting everything back in now that the new drivetrain is all bolted in.  I started with putting the bent shifter in, then the console, sift knob etc. Then I went and started working on the part of the radiator support that was dinged up on engine installation.  After that it was just installing all the stuff.....the New valve cover Is nice, and I didn't know it came with a gasket o ring style built in to the head!  The port on the side where the breather goes conflicts with the factory fuel lines, so I had to pull down on the lines carefully, and when I get the brass fittings needed to hook up the hose back to the air box, I can finish making that look nice.  Good progress.  Here are some pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

5-27-2023 UPDATE: long day in the garage getting everything put back together. I went ahead and cut and mounted a piece of plate aluminum I got at Lowe's on the radiator support. Then used a polishing wheel in my electric drill and some Mother's Mag Wheel Polish to make it look better. Then I went ahead and leveled the car out better and topped off the 80/90 in the trans and rear diff. After that I went ahead and tightened things up and changed out the carb isolators and got all the gasket maker off. After that I jumped on the clutch issue. I got a Vaccum bleeder from Harbor Freight and used it to try and get more air out of the system, Then after looking at it, took the slave cylinder off and made some decisions....I drilled a hole in the clutch fork end and then took a long bolt I had with 2 nuts on it, and cut it just a hair longer than the factory Exedy pin. I installed that and then drilled a small hole in the end for a spring to help pull it back like the original Z's had. I noticed I had nothing for the spring to hook on to on the other end, so I took a large fender washer, bent a 90 degree in the end, and drilled a hole....then I opened up the other side so I could slide it under the bottom mounting bolt and Voila! I place for a spring! Doesn't sound like much, but took 8 hours. Anyhow, here are some pics: 🙂

Click below for videos  Scroll to the end

(11) Facebook

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

On 5/27/2023 at 10:25 PM, A to Z said:

5-27-2023 UPDATE: long day in the garage getting everything put back together. I went ahead and cut and mounted a piece of plate aluminum I got at Lowe's on the radiator support. Then used a polishing wheel in my electric drill and some Mother's Mag Wheel Polish to make it look better. Then I went ahead and leveled the car out better and topped off the 80/90 in the trans and rear diff. After that I went ahead and tightened things up and changed out the carb isolators and got all the gasket maker off. After that I jumped on the clutch issue. I got a Vaccum bleeder from Harbor Freight and used it to try and get more air out of the system, Then after looking at it, took the slave cylinder off and made some decisions....I drilled a hole in the clutch fork end and then took a long bolt I had with 2 nuts on it, and cut it just a hair longer than the factory Exedy pin. I installed that and then drilled a small hole in the end for a spring to help pull it back like the original Z's had. I noticed I had nothing for the spring to hook on to on the other end, so I took a large fender washer, bent a 90 degree in the end, and drilled a hole....then I opened up the other side so I could slide it under the bottom mounting bolt and Voila! I place for a spring! Doesn't sound like much, but took 8 hours. Anyhow, here are some pics: 🙂

Click below for videos  Scroll to the end

(11) Facebook

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Nice work Joe. The polished alum on the radiator support was a great idea.. I hope the clutch slave cylinder works out.. Really nice set-up.  I will still give you my professional paint HVLP spray gun if you want?  Take care Ken

06-03-2023 UPDATE:  I went ahead and put the remaining stickers I had on my hood underside and then bled the clutch slave cylinder one last time, putting grease around the threads to make sure no air was being sucked in.  Then I added a Spring I bought from O'Reilley's to help pull it back when the clutch isn't pushed in.  Then I installed the hood and adjusted it to get it just right.  It was to have the hood on for the first time in at least 4 months!  After that, I started the process of getting the windshield out and getting things ready to drill out the spot welds on the roof and swap on my spare roof that doesn't have the sunroof.  As the pics show, it wasn't a hard job, just messy......I kept the vaccum there and periodically kept vacuuming.  So, the car is on the ground, and progress continues.  See pics:  :)

Video's, clinck under here and forward through the pics to the end.  3 videos in all. :)

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Edited by A to Z

06-10-2023 UPDATE. Today I removed the roof skin, prepped the area and started on getting the donor roof skin ready to go. I used Rustoleum Rust inhibitor spray and then Krylon gloss white over the skin frame to seal it up after cleaning it all up with a wire wheel in my electric drill and vacuuming it up. I had to use a cold chisel with a hammer, tin snips, a die grinder cutting wheel which i completely wore down (see pics) an old screwdriver, my die grinder with a fresh grinding wheel, a couple drill bits and some pliers. MAPP gas torch made REAL fast work of the lead, melted it right up and I used the handle of an old toothbrush to push it out of the way. The rear hatch bolts were so tight I had to use my hammer screw remover to get them out! I have a few short videos I made in addition to a TON of pics. see below. Cheers! :)

For video's, click under here, and scroll through the photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

Edited by A to Z

06-17-2023 UPDATE:  More roof work.  I started the day my cutting, and chiseling the roof skin off the donor roof frame.  It seemed like it took forever, but it finally came off.  I then went around the edges and straightened it out, then ran a grinder and wire wheel across those areas and then fitted it to the car.  Once on the car, I used an old screwdriver and a hammer to re-fit it to the car.  After that, i took it off and did a quick clean up on the little bit of surface rust, with a light coat of Rustoleum Rust Reformer and a dusting of Krylon white, and then insalled the headliner.  The headliner I got from Motorsport Auto (MSA) and it came with a can of headliner aerosol glue.  So I laid the headliner in place, pulled one side back sprayed the metal, laid it down and then pulled the other side up and did the same.  READY TO GO!  Then it was time to use the wire wheel to remove the paint from the spots where my JB Weld 2 part was to be applied, then I used a screwdriver to mix all the spots, then installed the roof.  I used clamps to hold it, then went about Installing tek screws to the places in between the bonded sections.  Afterward, I went with my die grinder and ground the screw heads down flush and cut off the exposed screws on the backside.  Then I took my die grainder again, and smoothed out the entire surface area all the way sround, and then went over it with a wire wheel to remove any paint showing through the old holes.  The old holes are to be used!.......I then applied a coat of "metal 2 metal" across all the areas, to smooth out the area, and to fill in the holes, thereby acting as a 3rd step to bond the roofskin on.  Then I used the metal2metal  to build up the windshield post upper areas and back areas that had been leaded in.  Tomorrow, God willing, I will work on some more.  So, roof skin, is attached by epoxy, screws and all-metal filler....it's not going anywhere!  Here are some pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.png

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

I have had such good luck with JB weld in the past, and now they sell it where it dispenses both at the same time in just the right mix......that you stir it with a screwdriver until it is dark grey and its ready.  Most JB Weld failures are from poor preparation.  Both sides have to be bare and clean.  However, please note it isn't just the epoxy, but screws cut off and heads ground flush AND the wire wheeled the surface area with old holes wire wheeled to be bare, and then coated with Metal 2 Metal, which is a resin with aluminum filings.  so, 3 methods used.  Once done I inspected it, it is tight as a drum!  Much stronger than the factory spot welds.  Keep in mind, it is NOT structural, but just the skin.  There is no weight on it.  I have welded the rails when they were repaired, but non structural I have used epoxy.  I also used the Metal 2 Metal to push into any spots/areas where the 2 layers are together.

Edited by A to Z

06-18-2023 UPDATE.  More roof work.  I went ahead and sanded down the entire roof....320 wasn't cutting it, so I used 80 grit on my orbital sander, that got it nice and smooth.  I then worked on the frame for the windshield, the rain gutters and roof sides and the rear above the hatch.  Using some glaze with hardener, my Orbital with 80 grit and 320 grit, my die grinder, my Dremel with the small drum wheel, steel wood, and some hand sanding, I was able to get the windshield area finished and painted.  Same for the upper hatch area.  I will give it several days to harden, and then go ahead with installing my new windshield and re-install the hatch.  At that point, it will be "dried in"....and body work won't have to continue to fill the cockpit with dust, etc.  Here are some pics.  Nice to have a 240Z with the sunroof gone, and to now have a manual trans. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Edited by A to Z

06-20-2023 UPDATE:  i had some time, so I went ahead and put the rubber weatherstripping on the new windshield.  Tough on the fingers!  You have to really work, and pull the rubber lip out and over then push it down and keep going....having never done it before it was a learning curve.  Another step done.  Now I need to put the rope in, and lubricate the rubber before install.  I also straightened out my stainless trim to go in the weatherstripping when all done.  Pics. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

Wow Joe, that was quite a project.. Congrats on a nice finished product.  Pretty soon there won't be much that isn't new or rebuilt.. Lookin good bro.. Keep up the good work.. Thanks for sharing..

06-25-2023 UPDATE.  Roof conversion complete!  I got the hatch installed and fitted correctly, and AFTER a very long fight, I got the windshield in.  BIG learning experience.  I recommend to just let the pro's do it....I wanted to DIY, and it was a bear!  The postives are, 1.  I didn't crack the windshield, and 2. Install was FREE...it is complete!  I then removed the louvers, and some other bits and began sanding the body all down.  Once the body is all sanded down, then it will be time for paint.  At some point, I will go ahead and start it.....and but I am tackling the last hard job while I still have the mental motivation to do so.  Feels very good to have a 240Z without a sunroof, and to have a manual transmission. You know the job is hard when you have to have some beer to celebrate!  Here are a couple pics.  :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by A to Z