HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure

Yeah thanks.  I sure hope those smells are gone.  It was worth it just to get all of the dirt out.  The dash cap turned out just like I hoped.  Now I will do a clean up, treat some of the rust, and the LED lights for the dash arrived.  I need to knock out the heater box and fan, and then put it all back in!  Then the stereo!  

Edited by A to Z

Wow Joe, I was gone for a few days with no internet.  You really Kicked it!!  I can't believe the crap you cleaned up and how nice it looks.  Your car will look and smell like new.  That is great.. Keep it up. Fun to watch the progress..

11-1-2021 update. Today was the day I wanted to get everything ready to put back in. That means getting the heater box done, blower section done, dash done and ready to go for Tuesday. A tall order....and more work than I anticipated. By the grace of God I got it all done and ready for Tuesday God willing. 🙂 I started by taking the heater box apart, and using the brass wire attachment in my electric drill and then a piece of 150 grit sandpaper in my hand for the corners. Once it was cleaned up I sprayed it with gloss black paint, and went over to the blower and did the same. The paint dried pretty quickly, and I was able to assemble both and install in the car. of course, prior to that, I attached the new heater hoses, 3 in all, and upon inspection of the valve it works great, but was full of rusty red paste. So a screw driver, a rag and some time I it cleaned out, and the heater core was flushed and back flushed with running water until FINALLY the water wasn't RED.....about 90% clear water. 😃 Now, it's no fun when 2 bolts break off when putting the heater box and blower back in the car...but there are sufficient bolts to hold it in, so I continued onward. The Dash....changed out the gauge bulbs to the LED lights I bought, and found that the green inserts cant be pulled out, you have to disassemble them to get them out. So, I pushed them in and let them fall out of the way inside the gauges and installed the LED's. Worse case, I have to take the gauges out later to pick the pieces out, but I think there is a very good chance it will work just fine. Did some clean up on the frame and sprayed it with the Rust convert spray from Loctite, and then a coat of gloss black. So, tomorrow I attempt to get the dash back in.

Look at the crap that came out of the heater box.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Edited by A to Z

11-4-2021 update: So I went ahead and put the vent face and controls back in, finished the stereo pre-setup and got it in (still needs some exterior work on the face plate area) and I got the glove box door on with the skillard metal hinge kit. I also brought in the center console and some bits and gave them a soapy bath and they are ready to go. VERY close on the interior being done. 🙂

1.jpg

Glove box and door installed. I was able to get the box in on a 45 degree angle and then pushed and got the box to "give just enough to pop it in! I used the Skillard glove box hinge and metal plate kit. I bought it in the optional powder coated finish. Very nice. Pic looks terrible, as everything neess to be cleaned with Armor all. Missing 2 screws on the box sides that I will have to procure I guess.🙂

7.jpg

console and tid bits drying after a soapy bath. the center console was DIRTY! the cigarette.coin box was dirty...cleaned up and painted inside and is currently drying. The lid as a patina finish......thinking maybe paint it satin black later, but then it will look like a 280Z lid isntead of 240Z....I don't know.

9.jpg

11-05-2021 UPDATE: Boy......a long day. Got under the dash and finished some wiring, and went and picked up my seats after having all new foam and new upholstery done on them. Justin at Top Notch Upholstery in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Good man. Give him a call for the work you need done, okay?? Used the MSA kit.....poor guy had to steam the heck out of them to stretch them far enough to work....so the word about them being short is true. So, I need to give them a call and let them know about htis.....Anyhow, I got them in and the center console. Ran the wires for my MSA parking light and dash lighting upgrade. Used some National, Silicone garage door lubricant on the clutch cables, and they went from really draggin bad tio easily movable! So I installed them with the Z depot kit where you attach the clutch cables to the body insead of the console. Console crack has been fixed.....Then I took some time to REALLY clean up the garage, and move the cer over more to the center. I have a gap bewtween the tire and the fender, but I cen't even put my push broom all the way under the car without hitting the exhasut, so she is already LOW. Wiped the car down awiuth a rag and denatured alcohol nd worked ont he windows with the denatured alcohol.....they were covered inside and out with some type of dried goo....like a milkshake exploded in there or something. At any rate, it feels good to see her FINALLY coming together. Seat belts and other straps are drying after a soapy scrub in the bath tub.....they were DIRTY! Here are a few pics.

1.jpg