HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure

2-21-2022 UPDATE:  Well, I managed to get a tad over 7 hours in today on the Z car.  I pulled the headlights, and sanded the headlight scoops out.  In the pic the left side if you look you can see I had to add some filler to the back lip, as it was missing.   I had painted them and everything.....but you could see scratches through the paint, so I took them down and smoothed it out.  Next, the tip of the hood had been repaired by a previous owner, and earlier I sanded it out and THOUGHT it would be good.....nope.  You could see the clump of bondo through the paint, so I also sanded it and the hood across about 1 foot up....then used the new glaze.  I then coated both dog legs and spots on both fenders at the bottom.  Unlike the other stuff I have used, the glaze is ready to go FAST.  It is awesome.  It is runny, but so nice to work with....but with the hardener is in unforgiving.....like the can says, 2-3 minutes to get it on, then it's too late. :( Cool thing is 15 minutes you can sand!  I blocked out the hood and got it good to go. then moved over to the driver's side and sanded out the left dogleg and the lower front fender area.  On this side, I have it about 90% ready. The passenger (right) side is about ready for final paint!  I will have to add a bit more to finish it up.  Then I went over to the right side and got it all sanded and blocked out.  A couple little spots on that side, but I am now SO CLOSE to 2K primer and final paint I can feel it.  Oh, yeah, my 2K primer came in, made by spray max, 2 part so it is catalyzed paint.  I took some pics.  BTW, it is amazing the amount of dust sanding this stuff puts off....man oh man! :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

Edited by A to Z

This was actually fun! Started out a nice day, almost 50 out, then about 3:30 ish....oh man, here comes the wind, felt like it dropped 20 degrees, So, I set things up and closed the door, and used the shop light for navigation. It actually warmed up just enough to where it wasn't a concern. Didn't know my toes were numb until I came in at a tad past 7 p.m.! you wouldn't think an un-insulted garage could be warmer with the door closed, but it is!  I could have easily kept going, but my birds need attention too, so... Hey! How come I NOW feel all sore from this! Geez! Take a shower, have some Bourbon and WHAM! 😃

drink.jpg

Edited by A to Z

On 2/21/2022 at 10:29 PM, A to Z said:

This was actually fun! Started out a nice day, almost 50 out, then about 3:30 ish....oh man, here comes the wind, felt like it dropped 20 degrees, So, I set things up and closed the door, and used the shop light for navigation. It actually warmed up just enough to where it wasn't a concern. Didn't know my toes were numb until I came in at a tad past 7 p.m.! you wouldn't think an un-insulted garage could be warmer with the door closed, but it is!  I could have easily kept going, but my birds need attention too, so... Hey! How come I NOW feel all sore from this! Geez! Take a shower, have some Bourbon and WHAM! 😃

drink.jpg

Nice work Joe, Seams that there are no short cuts to body work. Lots of hand work and hours to get it right. Keep it up. Looking GREAT...

2-28-2022 UPDATE: I went ahead and blocked out by doglegs and rockers a bit more, and then sanded out the hole for my fuel filler. Afterwards I went ahead and tried the 2K primer. It worked AWFUL! Afterward, I tried the Duplicolor Primer Sealer, and it worked like I wanted the 2K to work! It filled in a lot with enough coats, and with maybe 3 small spots I need to add just a tad of glaze to with my finger and sand out, the rockers and doglegs are done! I also went ahead and painted the headlight buckets and the tip of the hood. Here are some pics and video's. :)

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

3-14-2022 UPDATE:  I got out tothe garage for the first time in quite a while...Winter finally relented a bit. :) I went ahead and gave the car a bath as well as the floor.  After that, I went ahead and got the car back up on jackstands, but at max elevation with 4X4's under them.  To make them wide enough, I sandwiched the 2 pieces with a 2X4 and screwed them together on the top with a steel plate across all the 3 pieces.  Then I finished the little bit of work needed on the dog legs and rockers, and then got out my orbital sander and with 1000 grit paper and sanded the rest of the body that hasn't been painted and got it prepped for painting.  Now my garage is dirty again :D.....but one more bath, and I can mask it off and get the body done.  By getting it up as high as I did, I can next go ahead and cut out the rusty parts of the rails and then cut and prep the patches.....I will then have a mobile welder come over and weld them all in.  I have the rail portions I bought for Klassicfab JDM I will use along with 16 ga. plate steel.  4 videos and some pics attached.  Enjoy.  :)

1.MOV2.MOV3.MOV4.MOV

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Edited by A to Z

On 3/15/2022 at 4:21 PM, A to Z said:

3-15-2022 UPDATE:  Final wash today.  Now mask and paint. 1/2 the car is already painted, epoxy the rockers, hood tip and headlight buckets, touch up the white where needed and then clear, clear, clear! :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Nice and clean Joe, Lookin good bro.......

3-24-2022 UPDATE:  So, I went ahead and painted the rest of the car.  I started by masking off the pieces in the vicinity of where I still needed to paint, and then touched up a few areas with some sandpaper, then wiped it all down with Denatured Alcohol and started painting.  I used the Epoxy Primer I ordered from Rustouleum over the areas that had lacquer sealer primer on them.  This serves as a "bridge" to allow the Urethane color coat to stick.  I then used the white custom mixed paint I got from www.expresspaint.com.  After that, I buried it all in clear.  I used the Rustoleum, as it is enamel, where most aerosols are lacquer, which is a no-no with urethane color coat.  YES, it is covered in runs....the way it came out was runny, but I did succeed in putting ALOT on there, which is ok, as I am going to color sand it all down with 2000 grit on my orbital sander, a water spray bottle and a towel.  The runs will just be sanded smooth with the rest.  The rally stripe still has to be done.  At any rate, I took a bunch of pics.  I will put them on here as well.  Cheers. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Edited by A to Z

3-28-2022 UPDATE.  Under the car.  I went to work with my electric drill and a wire wheel attachment, working on the rack and engine crossmember, oil pan etc.  After a bit of that. Went ahead and started removing the paint on my rails.  Once I saw that they were a bit worse than I anticipated ( the paint was actually hiding rust holes!), I went ahead and unpacked my rail pieces I got from Klassicfab JDM a few months back.  I then went ahead and put a cutting wheel in my die grinder and started cutting them off.  I started with the passenger (right) side, then after that, I went to the left side.  The left side I didn't finish....ran out of time, and I need a new cutting wheel.  Removing the factory undercoating is a bit harder than anticipated, so I will get a thick wire wheel attachment for my die grinder and get to it.  I also cut the bottom strips  that I will replace with 16 ga. sheetmetal.  All of this will be welded in with a mobile welder.  I have some pics and a couple videos.  Cheers! :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg