HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

01-22-2023 UPDATE.  I finally finished up the engine bolt cleaning!.  All cleaned up and ready for the block when it gets back from the shop.  Crank is done....010 under all the way across, ZERO run out, nice and straight.  I also wire wheeled up the driveshaft then cleaned it up.  Then before I went in for the day, I got one side painted.  Once dry I will flip it over and paint the other side.  Look at the pic, this is the 2nd wire wheel I have completely wore out on this car......but hey it's Progress.  Hey it's cold!  I have heater in the pics, and it's keeping it manageable.  But a one car garage is rough. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by A to Z

01-28-2023 UPDATE: I have been working on my water neck that splits off to the heater. Since I am heater deleting my 240Z I decided to look into blocking off the port in a nicer way. So, I went to Lowes and bought a rubber plug that was tapered, and got one that fit right in. Then I coated it with Gorilla glue and pushed it in. After a couple hours, I checked it and it was permanently in there. So I held it up and poured water from the inside which actives the gorilla glue and then filled it up with gorilla glue from the inside. Now, because this stuff expands, I had to keep wiping it smooth. This will all be sanded up inside and cleaned up, but once this is done, it will look much cheaner than a piece of tubing with a bolt in it to block it off. So, more to come on this. Also an update on the block, it is all cleaned up, was magnafluxed and all is well, and is going to be bored shortly. Its been so cold you have to enjoy ANY progress. Heres a couple of pics in mid finished state. Cheers. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by A to Z

That Gorilla glue might not be resistant to hot ethylene glycol and water.  That is the inlet to the water pump so if it lets go that plug might get sucked in under certain conditions.

You could boil it in a coolant blend since it's off and see what happens.

Also, even though it's on the suction side it's still under pressure.  Not really sure what the balance between suction and pressure would be at that area at certain times.  So even though the gap is filled the bond between the metal and the glue or the rubber and the glue might not be strong enough to withstand it.  Probably 10 psi +/-.

Stuff to think about.  Automotive applications are tough on materials.

Since the hose fits on the outside, you could tap the inside and use a threaded metal plug without ruining the part for future use as an inlet.  One possibility if the Gorilla glue doesn't make it.  Good luck.

https://www.gorillatough.com/product/original-gorilla-glue/

image.png.f0bf8322a238567949f07dc22e0fc1ba.png

Thanks.  I have received several responses that all, like yours, made too much sense to take the chance.  So, I went ahead and got a lower coolant piece from an L28.  Since I am going heater delete, this one allows me to put a flush threaded plug in the end, looks much better.  No longer available through Nissan, so I found them at JDM-Parts.com.  Not cheap, but.....

L28 lower coolant bracket.png