HybridZ

differential removal question

trying to drop the R180 out of the '72 240, am I right that you have to undo the half shafts at the hubs?  I took the nuts off the inboard joints but is there enough room to get them off the studs as the diff drops?  I don't think so, should probably undo from the wheel side too, eh?

Yeah the OEM R180 can not handle the V8 torque if you can get the traction. Look into an R200 with an LSD center section. ~$300 for the carrier core, and $1000 for the LSD insert. 

you could just plop in an R200 open diff (99% of the R200 “long nose” diffs are open), but without an LSD you will have one wheel spin prematurely. 

to swap an r200LN into a 240z, you will need the following parts from a 280z. NOT 280zx, only the diff from a 280zx will work: driveshaft, halfshafts (axle shafts), mustache bar, and the rear lower control arm crossmember (if the 240z one you have is not “curved”). 

R180 was OEM on the 240z, and 280z was an r200. Chassis mounting points are the same, so swapping the parts from a 280 into a 240 is bolt-on. 

Edited by AydinZ71