HybridZ

Fitting Xenon Type 1 air dam

fusion

Hey guys,

I am currently fitting up a Xenon urethane 3124 type 1 air dam on my 1976 280z.  When I have the air dam clamped in place, the outer edges of the dam are slightly past the fenders (see picture).  It's the same on both sides.  Is this normal and what do people do to correct this?

20210620_131612.jpg

Oh it's normal, it shouldn't be but they all seem to be like that. I lined up the wheel well lip with the lip of the air dam then used a Dremal type grinding burr to carve into the air dam material so those 2 lines meet up then smoothed it out with sand paper.

Also you are going to find when you get the car up to speed that the front lip, the part that is suppose to be diverting air will basically fold under from the pressure of the wind.  It won't be doing much air damming and it looks pretty silly.  Most of us have built some kind of support to hold the front lip from folding back, my Xenon air dam front lip support looks like a splitter but that is its secondary job. I also had to glue a stiffener to the horizontal piece that flows back to the rad.

It's a shame because it's one of the best looking air dams that are available but it comes with some real drawbacks.

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

Edited by grannyknot

Thanks a lot granny, great pictures.  What are those 3 light blue pieces that you affixed to the aluminum splitter?

Also, what thickness aluminum did you use and are you happy with it?  Would you change anything if you redid it?

The aluminum sheet is about an 1/8th inch, those 3 pieces of aluminum grab the inside bottom lip of the air dam, they're what is really doing the holding.

I'm pretty happy with it, don't know if I would change anything, it's much better handling at high speeds now, before it got kind of floaty.

I should note I made 2 separate versions of this splitter/support and I think the pics are mixed together, the first one a bit too narrow and the center section didn't go far enough back to stop the turbulence.  The second version has the center section that goes back and under the engine.

IMG_0431.JPG

Edited by grannyknot