HybridZ

Misfire on #3

Ptero

Found the engine to be stumbling a bit so I'm trying to dig into what the issue is.

L28 with an E88 head.

Pulled each sparkplug wire individually with the car running and there was no change when I pulled the wire leading to cylinder 3.  Placed the wire close to the sparkplug and I could hear it sparking so I know it's hot.  Got a new set of spark plugs, no change.  Tried another wire, no change.  Cleaned cap & rotor, no change.  Adjusted all valves cold to .008 for intake and .01 for exhaust, no change other than running smoother overall.  I didn't adjust them when the engine was hot.

Next I did a compression test with the following results:

1 - 133 dry / 141 wet

2 - 135 dry / 140 wet

3 - 135 dry / 142 wet

4 - 136 dry / 143 wet

5 - 140 dry / 148 wet

6 - 144 dry / 153 wet

According to my spark plugs (which are black & sooty), I believe I'm running rich.  

Carb setup is round top SU carbs which I tuned last summer.  I barely drove it last summer, but I'm thinking it was stumbling then as well.

While I search for the next step, I'm also looking for suggestions on what to try next.  

Edited by Ptero

The next thing I'd check is the float levels. The fuel level should be 3/8" below the carb bridge. That's 9.52 mms. The nozzle adjustment screw raises or lowers the nozzle 1 mm per turn. Remove the domes and pistons, raise the nozzles up to the top and lower them 9 1/2 turns. The proper fuel level should be at the top of the nozzle give or take a half a turn.