HybridZ

ZStore XL 4 Piston Caliper and Rotor Kit Wheel Clearance

I have a 1978 280Z. I purchased the ZStore XL Caliper and Rotor Kit. I’ve revived my Z after 6 years. Now I’m so close but the 14 inch mags don’t fit. 15 inch ZX wheels don’t fit. The caliper actually sits about 15 mm beyond the hub mounting surface. The caliper is in the way. Has anyone tried this kit. Looks like Toyota calipers on ZX rotors. I’ve planned to use 16 inch Rotas but haven’t finished with rear bearings. Before I buy anything, I’m looking for advice. ZStore says any of their aftermarket wheels will fit. Do newer wheels have a more recessed area around the mounting surfaces. I’ve include a couple pix. 
Thanks. 

C677671F-BBC8-4A67-AAD6-D3DFBC85AFA0.jpeg

5C4D52BF-3ACD-48C4-B067-9CF2A714AA5D.jpeg

Looks like you've got everything installed correctly.  And yes, most aftermarket wheels will have more of a "dish" shape (radially outwards from the hub mounting face) which would allow for more clearance with the brake calipers.  But even then, a wheel spacer, between the hub and the wheel, might be needed to provide sufficient clearance.  You could probably make your 15" ZX wheels work with spacers, although you may need a wheel "spacer adapter" to get sufficient clearance....spacer adapters have their own lugs, and are a safer alternative to plain spacers if you need more than 1/4" thickness IMHO.  Your new 16" Rotas should be fine.  Additionally, a larger MC is often required when installing larger calipers -- 15/16" MC is a popular choice and readily available from numerous sources.  Finally, if you significantly increase your Front braking power without doing anything to the Rears, F/R brake balance becomes a problem -- the brakes need to be considered as a "system", and significantly changing one aspect of the system can have a big effect on the rest of the system.  These issues are discussed in the FAQ thread on S30 brake options -- a good read if you haven't already seen it:

I read the brake kit descriptions for all the kits on MSA's website; and it's unfortunate that they don't discuss wheel fitment issues associated with their kits.  Didn't see a single mention of wheel fitment in any of their ads.  That's kind of a major faux pas on them.

13 hours ago, biffcheesy said:

14 inch mags don’t fit. 15 inch ZX wheels don’t fit. The caliper actually sits about 15 mm beyond the hub mounting surface. The caliper is in the way.

Where, exactly, is the interference?  You're implying that it's close to the flange, just wondering if you have confirmed that, or assumed.

The kit is new.  All of the aftermarket guys say that their stuff works but there are many cases over the years where the customers are actually beta testers.  The ZStore had problems with their new Koni shocks, even though said that they had tested them thoroughly.  It's just how new product development goes.  Their "engineer" might have only tried one set of wheels.

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic21l/24-5717

• 5 months later...

So, sorry I didn’t reply right away.
But I have now installed Konig Rewind 8 spokes on my ZStore XL Caliper and Rotor kit. These are 15 inch rims with 215/60 tires. Even with these there were clearance issues. I had to grind down the brake calipers a bit. The ridges of the caliper were scraping the wheel with about 2 mm of space making it impossible to seat and torque the wheels on. So in the caliper picture you can see 3 ridges. I used the grinder to smooth the closest one. It now sits properly and spins without scraping. I am planning to use 3 mm generic spacers to provide sufficient clearance. Does that seem alright?

Anyways, thanks to NewZed and jhm for helping. I was told the modification would not need a larger brake master nor brake balance adjustment. I am planning to check on both of those concerns. I think I need a new MC anyways. 
Merry Christmas to all.

079D94C5-DDF7-447B-91B8-574025B786B2.jpeg

Edited by biffcheesy
Wrong part name mentioned.