HybridZ

CV Axle Grease Opinions

Dat73z

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding some Q45 CV axles. They were packed with some brown goop prior.

I have some heavy duty Lucas green stuff which I had used on Troy Ermish CVs a few times before. Since I probably won't be cracking these open again for a few years and they don't have grease fittings I figured I'd ask for some opinions. 

Does anyone have any recommendations on CV grease? Any insight on what works well (or doesn't hold up) would be appreciated! 

20210704_194550.jpg

I have 944 style cv axles and a Quaife differential in my s30 road race car. It has big HP and TQ numbers. I used Valvoline Hi-Temp grease in them with no problems. I suspect most good grease brands, including the new synthetic greases will also do the job. 

19 hours ago, Mayolives said:

I have 944 style cv axles and a Quaife differential in my s30 road race car. It has big HP and TQ numbers. I used Valvoline Hi-Temp grease in them with no problems. I suspect most good grease brands, including the new synthetic greases will also do the job. 

Thanks. Did you use the generic Valvoline synthetic moly grease? 

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/grease-gear-oil/full-synthetic-grease

After some more research it does sound like any off the shelf modern synthetic with moly would work well for CVs. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. I ended up going with the Valvoline generic gray full synthetic. The local parts stores had maybe 6-8 options but only Valvoline and CRC were marked directly on the tube as Extreme Pressure and for use with CVs. Valvoline wasn't cheap at $20 per tube but the CRC was something like 2x the cost for the same volume. FSM for the Infinity Q45 showed 6.5-7oz per CV and each Valvoline tube was around 14oz so I sliced 2 tubes in half with a razor, half a tube for each CV. 

20210804_111407.jpg