HybridZ

1982 280zx none turbo injector only get signal if one is unpluged

Car will start and idle if one injector conector is loose.it wil actually run on 5 cylinders and rev with throtel if i have a test light atached to one side of the conector but not the other side of the conector .both sides will light up the test light though. Even with the ignition off both wires to the injector conector will light up the test light. If i plug the conector back in it kills the engine.both wires still light up a test light.

Check your grounds, in the EFI wiring harness and at the ECU.  The injectors need current flow.  Might be that you have only enough to run 5 injectors at idle, and the test light provides just enough extra current to get it to rev.  Bad grounds = low current.

14 minutes ago, Micheal H Welker said:

No it does not get a ground signal to the injectors.

If the engine runs there's a ground for the injectors.

Use the FSM and a meter.  You can't get far without doing basic electrical testing on the EFI systems.  Download the FSM and the 1980 EFI guide.  Use the Engine Fuel and Emissions chapter.  The EFI harness has its own ground point.  Test at the ECU connector.

https://www.classiczcars.com/files/file/32-efi-book-1980/

https://www.classiczcars.com/files/category/14-280zx/

image.png.19d150966b8e1806c9d06cda67d17a04.png

Edited by NewZed

Yes.  The injectors have power when the key is on and they open when the circuit is grounded by the ECU. 

Both sides of the injector plugs will have power because it's a parallel circuit.  Unless you measure with all six injectors unplugged.

The diagram shows the injectors have +12v at all times I think; doesn't go through the switch.

So: it will idle on 5, but if you try to rev it higher, it dies. correct? 

But, if you ground the 6th,through your test light, it will rev. correct? 

as @NewZed said, its probably bad earths from the ECU.

You're right.  That was in the back of my mind, the question has come up before, because on the 280Z's they run it through a relay.  I kind of knew it was wrong when I posted it, should have held off.  Not sure why they would change to constant power wires over the engine.  But, apparently, they did, they show it twice.  Doesn't make sense.

Continue with the 20 questions...

image.png.622ea84a2f1021085a7e6e6fafcdc74c.png

image.png.3f52c1a4e5c6a3c021686c1d3c74d9b1.png