HybridZ

What's the difference between a 1978 and 1981-83 l28et engine?

Junleung123

Hello guys, hopefully I'm posting in the right area,im new here and I'm a newbie. 

I read a guide from hybridz, it mentioned to get a 1981-83 280zx, but I only managed to find a 280zx 1978,i know they are both l28et but just wondering if there is any difference between the 1978 vs 1981 280zx l28et. As he made it sound like the 1981-83 280zx is more preferable? 

I've tried searching for such info but couldn't find any. If this question has already been answered, I apologise in advance 

The turbo engine came out in 1981.  So a 1978 car would not have a turbo engine.  And the 280ZX came out in 1979.  I think this is true even in the UK.

A 280ZX turbo engine would have a lower CR than a 280Z NA engine, among other differences.

2 hours ago, NewZed said:

The turbo engine came out in 1981.  So a 1978 car would not have a turbo engine.  And the 280ZX came out in 1979.  I think this is true even in the UK.

A 280ZX turbo engine would have a lower CR than a 280Z NA engine, among other differences.

I just did a quick search, it says Nissan s130? Also called the Nissan 280zx fairylady z? Production from 1978-1983. I'm confused 😕

2 hours ago, NewZed said:

Hey man, 

Okay so I dug deeper, I think you're right. No wonder I couldn't find anything, I was searching 280zx 1978.it doesn't even exist lol

I found a guy selling a z, so I asked him if it was the 280zx and he said yes, I asked what year he said 1978. So I'm a newbie and new to the z world, but luckily I kept doing more research cause I think he's trying to pull one on me. He sent some pictures of the car and engine, hard to tell if it's a 280zx but I think it's not a 280zx and the engine I can't see the turbo. Is it okay if I post the pictures here and you could double check for me? 

Sure, post the pictures.  I know that some things are different in the UK, like the 260Z went on for a long time, but the turbo was not developed until 1981, I think.  The Z body and the ZX body are completely different though, in both countries.  And the turbo parts are obvious.  Some people have tried to fool people with the ZX injector cooling fan, because it looks odd.  But a turbo is obvious.

5 hours ago, NewZed said:

Sure, post the pictures.  I know that some things are different in the UK, like the 260Z went on for a long time, but the turbo was not developed until 1981, I think.  The Z body and the ZX body are completely different though, in both countries.  And the turbo parts are obvious.  Some people have tried to fool people with the ZX injector cooling fan, because it looks odd.  But a turbo is obvious.

Yeah and I noticed the engine cover says Nissan ohc instead of turbo, I thought it was weird. 

received_4446918122013254.jpeg

received_4239576439494415.jpeg

received_529957304787230.jpeg

received_1042570542945067.jpeg

received_154761110079137.jpeg

received_219144333421151.jpeg

The bottom engine with the orange plug wires is definitely an NA engine. 

The top engine with the black wires might be a turbo block, it looks like it has the oil filter mount of a turbo engine.  But it's a bad angle.  I think I see an AFM on top but not sure.

Here are some links to look at.  You need better pictures of the top engine.  Look at where the AFM is mounted and look for the J-pipe.  The AFM is underneath on the turbo engine.  It's on top and visible on NA.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-datsun-280zx-turbo-6/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-datsun-280zx-turbo-12/

J-pipe marked in green.

image.png.7adbe9a8fb86f06efc24e0c8bcb0340a.png

image.png.53f6ba6305b703986360299ce2d6635f.png

Edited by NewZed

Also, that's a 2+2 S30, not a 280ZX/S130. The owner might be right that it's a 1978 and is just confused on 280Z vs 280ZX. Unless it's been engine swapped already, it's definitely not a turbo motor. 

And to add a little bit more - it could be a turbo "engine" but without the turbo parts.  The valve cover has a stamp on it like the Nissan replacement engines too, so that might be part of the mystery.

If you want to dig deeper, get the numbers from the cylinder head.  They're right between/below cylinders 1 and 2 plug holes.  A turbo head would be P90.  A 280Z head would be N42 or N47.

No offense - that's obvious.  But people put turbo engines in 280Z's often.  

Anyway, both engines and the car look pretty beat up.  The bottom engine looks like a 76 or 77 280Z NA engine.  You can tell from the fuel rail and fusible links.  Can't tell from your pictures which engine is from the 280Z 2+2.

What are you trying to do?

• 2 weeks later...

Good god....that thing is disintegrated.  Even if it were free, you'd be getting yourself into an long, expensive restoration; and you still may never be happy with the final result.

Is there a particular reason you want a 2+2?  Many folks (myself included) feel that the 2-seater S30 has some of the best lines ever penned, and the 2+2 just doesn't quite hit the mark in the styling department.  (Not to say that there are some really nice 2+2s out there....just be sure of what you're getting before you buy it.)

I would seriously consider the expense and effort of purchasing a car from the west coast of the U.S. and having it shipped.  From what I've seen regarding purchase prices of used sports cars in Europe, that would be the cheaper route and you would have so many more cars to choose from in decent condition.  My two cents, FWIW...

Edited by jhm

@jhm 100% agree. It’s painful to say, but I would pass on this car. The race car I’m restoring has significantly less rust than what you are dealing with, and I am Still 1-year into chassis rust replacement. We are talking 6-10

hours a week, every week, for a year. Still have not found a “rust free” S30, but you can get close! Look in Southern California, Nevada, arizona for cars that remained here.

L28ET’s are becoming rare. Pick a torque/power target and we can help you build a turbo engine around an NA long block. other than the P90 head and pistons with raised deck (rings are lower), not a big advantage to the L28et long block compared to say, a 280z long block with an N42 head. 

It’s all expensive to be honest. You can hobble together an OEM EFI system to work (Z31 turbo MAF & ECU) but I have no experience How well the AF tracks. I only have experience with independent EFI’s .

when I built my original L24et, I tried to use the L28et harness and ECU. Fail… I bought an SDS EFI and it has been running for 20 years. 

Edited by AydinZ71
  • Like 1