HybridZ

Z Car Garage CV Half Shafts

Phantom

I have an LS1 powered 280Z backed by a T56 and a 300ZXT R200LSD.  The weak link in the drivetrain are the stock original (250,000 miles) half shaft u-joints.  To keep running I recently replaced two of the u-joints only to find out that the half shafts are worn where the u-joint caps are supposed to press in lightly.  So now I need half-shafts giving me the perfect excuse to upgrade to CV's.  Although the LS1 is stock, 325HP/326 torque that is too much for several of the conversions currently offered or the vendor has no idea how much HP the shafts can handle. 

No - I'm not going to spring for the Ford 8.8 conversion. Great upgrade but too expensive for my current situation.

I've pretty much settled on the Z Car Garage CV upgrade but I really need more input before I spring for them. 

Anyone here that actually has their CV axles on their Z's - and driving/competing them?  I am looking for hard factual feedback on perceived quality, any installation issues, and durability.

Thank you in advance 

No experience with the ZCG CVs but just out of curiosity are you still running the OE stub axles? I'm sure others will chime in just curious on how you're shock loading the rear end in your app as that can be another major failure point. Some people go with axles that eliminate the OE stubs entitely to circumvent this which the ZCG doesn't look to do. 

On 7/22/2021 at 8:55 PM, Dat73z said:

No experience with the ZCG CVs but just out of curiosity are you still running the OE stub axles? I'm sure others will chime in just curious on how you're shock loading the rear end in your app as that can be another major failure point. Some people go with axles that eliminate the OE stubs entitely to circumvent this which the ZCG doesn't look to do. 

The 280Z stub axles are stronger than the 240Z stub axles and can withstand more abuse.  That being said, if a car is built for drag strip use then eliminating them is a good idea. At that point you should just convert to a solid axle rather than IRS. I've had my car for 29 years and 150,000 miles. 99% of it's use has been "spirited" daily driving which is what my goal was when I built it.  Yes, it has been competed but only occasionally. The fact that my stock, original spindles are still doing well after a total of 250,000 miles - yes bearings have been replaced - should give a pretty good indication that they can continue to meet the demands that I put on them.

Edited by Phantom

On 7/23/2021 at 5:57 AM, madkaw said:

They are works of art . Very stout . I can’t see how you would break them . I run a modest 230 rwhp , but I thrash my car a lot . They aren’t the weak link . It would be more likely my wheel axles 

Did you install yourself?  Were there any issues or things that I should be aware of prior to installation? How long have you had them?  Any interference with stock ebrake cable or sway bar?  Looks like you have a 240Z?  Are you running an R180 or R200?

1 hour ago, Phantom said:

Did you install yourself?  Were there any issues or things that I should be aware of prior to installation? How long have you had them?  Any interference with stock ebrake cable or sway bar?  Looks like you have a 240Z?  Are you running an R180 or R200?

So many questions 😁

Easy install with no issues . I’ve had long enough to know they will take a thrashing with 230hp . R-180 . Don’t have brake cables , but they are no bigger then halfshafts . 

Thank you Madkaw & DuffyMahoney.  I'm always very careful whenever i make a big change in my car. Y'all gave me some peace of mind.

DuffyMahoney - I see you are from Sandpoint.  You ever go to the Lost in the 50's events?  I was up there in 2019 for it.  Got 3rd in class.  Here's a pic of my buddy and I at the show. He's from Sagle.

6ADD874C-0E3A-4E59-8CEC-F5947E11E769_1_105_c.jpeg.a82cd9694ce0295ddd5e31ff9b3c938b.jpeg12635DDA-366A-4355-A888-51D9BA88E285_1_105_c.jpeg.3d477bfb6b189d74606deff224494e2b.jpeg

.6ADD874C-0E3A-4E59-8CEC-F5947E11E769.heic

Edited by Phantom

15 hours ago, Phantom said:

Thank you Madkaw & DuffyMahoney.  I'm always very careful whenever i make a big change in my car. Y'all gave me some peace of mind.

DuffyMahoney - I see you are from Sandpoint.  You ever go to the Lost in the 50's events?  I was up there in 2019 for it.  Got 3rd in class.  Here's a pic of my buddy and I at the show. He's from Sagle.

6ADD874C-0E3A-4E59-8CEC-F5947E11E769_1_105_c.jpeg.a82cd9694ce0295ddd5e31ff9b3c938b.jpeg12635DDA-366A-4355-A888-51D9BA88E285_1_105_c.jpeg.3d477bfb6b189d74606deff224494e2b.jpeg

.6ADD874C-0E3A-4E59-8CEC-F5947E11E769.heic

Heck yeah! I go every year! 

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, rxx2rxx2 said:

Ah, sorry, digging up another old thread.

Anyone have any opinions of these vs Futofab? A bit of a difference is price.

Completely different . Futofabs work but more play 

• Like 1