HybridZ

Steering Wheel Shakes at Speed over 45MPH

I have a 240z 73 replaced the rack and pinion, tie rod ends, front calipers and brakes pads, front rotors, bushings, struts, springs and the car shakes at speed over 45mph.  I can't seem to get the front wheel spacers to fix flush.  Anyone else having this steering wheel problem?

Can't get front wheel spacers to sit flush? By that do you mean you have spacers between your hubs and wheels and they are not sitting squarely? If so, that's your answer as to why the steering wheel shakes. 

12 hours ago, milesz said:

I can't seem to get the front wheel spacers to fix flush.  Anyone else having this steering wheel problem?

Like calZ said it's probably your "spacers".  You don't have a steering wheel problem, you have a wheel problem.  Very dangerous, especially on the front.

Maybe you have some of these but haven't machined the I.D.  Don't even know why this guy sells them that way, kind of cheap and unsafe.

https://zcardepot.com/products/wheel-spacer-pair-front-rear-240z-260z-280z?_pos=1&_sid=4da58f7ef&_ss=r

18 hours ago, calZ said:

Can't get front wheel spacers to sit flush? By that do you mean you have spacers between your hubs and wheels and they are not sitting squarely? If so, that's your answer as to why the steering wheel shakes. 

Thanks Calz for your reply.  Can you recommend where I can purchase front spacers for my 240z?

6 hours ago, NewZed said:

Like calZ said it's probably your "spacers".  You don't have a steering wheel problem, you have a wheel problem.  Very dangerous, especially on the front.

Maybe you have some of these but haven't machined the I.D.  Don't even know why this guy sells them that way, kind of cheap and unsafe.

https://zcardepot.com/products/wheel-spacer-pair-front-rear-240z-260z-280z?_pos=1&_sid=4da58f7ef&_ss=r

Thanks NewZed for your reply.  I'm now looking for a reputable company to buy them.  Do you know where I can get them, plug and play?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, milesz said:

Thanks NewZed for your reply.  I'm now looking for a reputable company to buy them.  Do you know where I can get them, plug and play?

Thanks

I forgot to mention that I don't feel the car shacking just the steering wheel.

19 minutes ago, milesz said:

I forgot to mention that I don't feel the car shacking just the steering wheel.

20 hours ago, milesz said:

the car shakes at speed over 45mph

You said car in the first post.  Check your steering rack bushings.  Maybe something is not assembled correctly.  You replaced a lot of parts.

Yeah, that's not surprising. Even a wheel being out of balance or flat-spotted will make the wheel shake, but you can't really feel it throughout the car. What type of wheels do you have? Is it possible to run without the spacers to see if it fixes the issue? 

4 hours ago, calZ said:

Yeah, that's not surprising. Even a wheel being out of balance or flat-spotted will make the wheel shake, but you can't really feel it throughout the car. What type of wheels do you have? Is it possible to run without the spacers to see if it fixes the issue? 

I wished I could but to use the rims I need to have the spacers.

4 hours ago, NewZed said:

You said car in the first post.  Check your steering rack bushings.  Maybe something is not assembled correctly.  You replaced a lot of parts.

I'll get the car in the air and check it tomorrow.  Thanks for the advice.