HybridZ

Need Help Finishing MS2 Install

geeksteev

Without going into details, I’m not a car guy (getting there). I got lucky and picked up an 83 n/a 280ZX with a bad ECU so I’m going the MS route. 

I have all but three things left to plug into the engine. Coil, IAT, CAS and a thin hose that doesn’t seem to connect to anything on the other end. 

I’ve done some research and here’s where I’m at:

-CAS needs to be plugged into a turbo dizzy. 

-IAT is an air temp sensor that should be installed somewhere between the air intake and intake manifold. 

-Coil, I have no clue other than it has something to do with the ignition. 
-Rando hose, not even a shred of a clue. 

Any pointers that can get me to the point of everything plugged in will be greatly appreciated!

E07DD83E-5E88-4802-BC0F-00B59A5884B9.jpeg

FC71F79B-6D23-4C7B-9789-3C04FB9645BB.jpeg

40F5CAD9-E864-4FBF-84ED-66FF3E71CAA3.jpeg

7283BCD7-8562-4C1E-80ED-CFBABDC17299.jpeg

You must have bought some sort of "plug 'n' hope" kit.  Looks like you've already moved beyond using the factory ECU?  It's not plug n play, you have a lot more work ahead of you.

I circled your coil.  One of those wires will go to the terminal with a + plus on it the other to the one with a - on it.  Peel that rubber cover off and you'll see them.

Good luck.

image.png.ad2483816553cd32f5df1a151326fc10.png

Edited by NewZed

the hose is probably for the MAP sensor in the MS. it measures the air pressure in the manifold. (high with the throttle shut , low with it wide open). 

It needs to connect to the inlet manifold between throttle and engine.  the place you bought it must have some instructions. 

Edited by jonbill

14 hours ago, NewZed said:

You must have bought some sort of "plug 'n' hope" kit.  Looks like you've already moved beyond using the factory ECU?  It's not plug n play, you have a lot more work ahead of you.

I circled your coil.  One of those wires will go to the terminal with a + plus on it the other to the one with a - on it.  Peel that rubber cover off and you'll see them.

Good luck.

image.png.ad2483816553cd32f5df1a151326fc10.png

I did, I got it from Godzilla Raceworks. It’s apparently (and seems to be) wired up for my vehicle as I gave them the vehicle details when I ordered. There’s also an alleged default configuration already in the MS! Their documentation is probably just fine for someone who knows what they’re doing haha. What’s interesting is that I understand the ECU since it’s a computer, I’m good with electronics. 

Here’s a link for anyone interested. 

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/ems/bolt-in-megasquirt-2-v357-engine-management-system-w-base-tune-1970-1983

THANK YOU!!

9 hours ago, jonbill said:

the hose is probably for the MAP sensor in the MS. it measures the air pressure in the manifold. (high with the throttle shut , low with it wide open). 

It needs to connect to the inlet manifold between throttle and engine.  the place you bought it must have some instructions. 

I don’t see any details for that, the documentation seems to be more for someone who knows what they’re doing. I admit kicking off this project with the ECU is probably not the simplest modification I could have started with lol.

The distant end (it’s wrapped and run inside the car) of the hose isn’t connected to anything which led my confusion. What you’re saying makes sense so I’ll do some more research!

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

You can run a standard 280Z Distributor in that as well since you have a single coil setup. Just use the VR sensor setup. You will set your Trigger settings up as up as a Standard Distributor with Single coil and Batch Fire injection. Then no Home signal is required.

You really only need a Turbo dizzy if you want to run Sequentail Fuel and/ or COP or Wastespark Ignition. But then the tactful ECU has to be BULIT with the proper " Modules " or optional hardware in place. Everything on MS-2 is " A La Carte " . You have to find out EXACTLY how it was specced out and built. Build info should be included with your ECU. See below. 

MS-2 from Godzilla usually come with standard Injector drivers ( A and B bank ) and a single High Amperage Coil driver ( BIP-373 ) already installed. Go to the MSExtra.com  home site and download the Hardware manual for your Mother Board. On the case it should say if you have a 3.0 Main Board or a 3.57 Main Board. Download the correct hardware instructions. 

https://www.msextra.com/manuals/ms2manuals/