HybridZ

Aftermarket Plug and Play Complete Harness?

Exile

So, I know there really aren't any direct replacement new harnesses being made for our cars. I also know that plenty of people will go with a universal harness and terminate the wires themselves, but why hasn't anyone tried to produce a pre-terminated OEM replacement harness set?

Well, I guess a better question would be, is there good enough demand to justify the expense of making such a harness, and would people buy it at the cost?

Now, I know most people getting this far into the weeds on their Z probably have plans to completely redo most of the electronics anyways, but what about for someone who wants to keep it mostly stock, more going for a restoration or resto-mod who just wants a more modern wiring harness and electronics setup that retains OEM functionality?

Personally, I think it would be a good idea. Even better, imagine being able to select which circuits you do and don't need, or even just buying an individual subharness to fix a suspected problem? I may be misjudging the perceived value, but I can see someone who just wants to have the peace of mind of having a complete, brand new, plug and play harness to root out potential electronics issues, or even a complete electrical overhaul kit, including new alternator, fuses, relays, etc, based on well-known reliability enhancements and upgrades.

I dunno, maybe it's just my inner salesman thinking this is a better idea than it is or some shit. Mostly just gauging if there would be any interest in such a thing.

On that note, I do also have a question. For someone looking to do something like this to their own car (myself) is there a way to re-pin the ECU, or retrofit the connector? I mean, I'm sure there is one, but has it been done?

• 2 weeks later...

I normally don't reply to "what if" post but this is an interesting one.  I have owned a number of Zcars for decades and have meet many other owners who want/need a new harness.  I too have reworked sections and wished I had new parts to deal with.  It's a tedious task an not so fun.  The solution is  usually attempting to repair what they have or buying a used one that is probably no better than what they started with.  Certainly the demand exist but will owners pay the price? I can't answer that one!