HybridZ

Fuel pressure drops to 0 when I shut off the car

tokuzumi

Had 3 issues recently, which I was pretty sure were fuel pressure regulator related

1) Fuel pressure at idle was only 20psi

2) Long cranking times, as fuel pressure needed to build

3) Fuel pressure drops to 0 immediately after shutting off the ignition

Replaced the fuel pressure regulator with an Aeromotive one, as I couldn't find a stock style in stock.  Got fuel pressure dialed in, and now the car cranks almost immediately after turning the key.  But my inline fuel pressure gauge (in-line barb style with a threaded bung which has the gauge screwed into it) still shows 0 after shutting off the car.  It could be the gauge only reads pressure when fuel is flowing...not sure.  It's this one;

image.png.9968862a260bab4d841038660234b70e.png

https://zcardepot.com/collections/fuel-injection/products/fuel-pressure-gauge-fuel-injection-0-100-psi-280z-280zx?_pos=1&_sid=193df092d&_ss=r

Is this normal, or do I have another issue elsewhere?  I know my other cars will hold pressure after shutting off the vehicle, so I assumed the ZX would hold some pressure once the car is shut off.

1 hour ago, tokuzumi said:

Replaced the fuel pressure regulator with an Aeromotive one,

inline fuel pressure gauge (in-line barb style with a threaded bung which has the gauge screwed into it) still shows 0 after shutting off the car.  I

That is common.  They are not designed to hold pressure.  Search the internet for "aeromotive FPR not holding pressure" and you'll find a ton.  I had one for a while.

Example - 

"I called Aeromotive about this and they confirmed that their regulators will not hold pressure when the pump is not running. (Dumb."

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/fuel-pressure-regulator-that-acually-holds-pressure-when-the-pump-is-not-running.2057202/