HybridZ

Trouble on initial starting..please help

Hey guys,

Own a 78 280z. I am having the issue of a "cold start", when its not "cold".

Whenever I want to start the car initially for the day, it takes me 4-5 good rounds of cranking to get her going. This happens at any temperature outside. I feel like the fuel pump may be shutting off once I begin cranking? 

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

19 hours ago, jersey280 said:

I feel like the fuel pump may be shutting off once I begin cranking? 

Any ideas what may be causing this?

You need to find out if that is actually happening, get a friend to crank the engine while you take a voltage reading at the pump.

cold start isn't what happens when its cold outside and you start your car. 

ANY outside temperature is a lot colder than the running temperature of the engine, and it needs fuel and timing adjustments while it warms up.

so suspect a temp sensor somewhere. 

On 10/2/2021 at 5:54 PM, jersey280 said:

Whenever I want to start the car initially for the day, it takes me 4-5 good rounds of cranking to get her going

The suggestions about the pump are good.  But your symptoms sound a lot like pressure is bleeding off overnight.  Do you have a factory FPR or aftermarket?  The typical aftermarket regulators all bleed down quickly.

You can check all of the possibilities by attaching a fuel pressure gauge and watching it.

If you are able to rule-out fuel pressure, try checking/replacing your ignition system consumables and replacement parts. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil. Check your ignition timing to make sure it has not wandered. 

in my case, most times I have had poor cold-start was because my Spark had weakened or become inconsistent. This is most obvious when the car is cold. Once she is up and running, a poor/inconsistent spark can improve as the ignition parts and plug warm. 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Newzed, I have an aftermarket FPR, without a check valve currently. I suspected this may cause an issue, but I always allow 30 seconds(ish) before cranking for the pump to prime. Other than that, ive replaced all senors related with NOS and adjusted timing/replaced cap rotors ect (she runs great when I get her going).