HybridZ

Anyone have experience running E3 spark plugs?

As title suggests. Has anyone had good or bad experiences using E3 spark plugs? I typically use NGK copper, but I got a good deal on a set of E3.46 plugs and coupled with the initial testing/tuning issues of my new motor, I managed to foul them out. After a cleaning they worked ok-ish. But look fouled again when I'm pretty sure I'm running lean -> white smoke. Curious about other's experiences and thoughts!

Thank you!

20211003_112142.jpg

20211003_111920.jpg

@jonbill I know black is the sign of rich. I can clean them and adjust the AFM leaner but I'm already getting white smoke. I don't want to do damage to the motor. I'm more concerned if the E3 plugs burn at a proper temperature for our motors or not, causing a false rich look while the motor is infact running lean. Has anyone heard of something like this before? Or a similar experience? 

Coolant level is perfect. No loss and no smell from exhaust. I cleaned the plugs again and installed 1 brand new plug just for reference(marked with gold paint marker). I will attach pictures of plugs before cleanin, after, and the new plug. The last picture is after two short drive cycles running lean. These plugs just don't clean up very well. I'm starting to suspect more of a weak or failing ignition coil now. I don't want to be too fast to condemn the E3 plugs. It would be nice if they supplied a data sheet though. 

20211003_111920.jpg

20211003_152417.jpg

20211003_152747.jpg

20211003_165922.jpg

7 hours ago, Mike33Stig said:

adjust the AFM leaner but I'm already getting white smoke.

1 hour ago, Mike33Stig said:

The last picture is after two short drive cycles running lean.

7 hours ago, jonbill said:

I don't think you're engine is running lean. 

White smoke does not come from "lean".  You're starting from a bad assumption.

@NewZed what I was saying is that I have already adjusted the afm to the lean side. And I can adjust it more if it is thought to be a running rich issue. 

In the last picture. See the new plug on the right with gold marking. This plug is after the two drive cycles. I should have referenced it with a "cleaned" plug. This is my mistake. I will take a new picture in the morning. I want to do this to distinguish what the old "cleaned" plugs look like compared to a new plug after the same drive cycle. 

The white smoke is only a whisp at high rpm when I rev the motor. It's not a heavy smoke. And I'm running open header. If I richin the mixture I don't get any smoke. Maybe a small whisp of black at high rpm when I rev the motor. 

Edited by Mike33Stig

Your plugs are either oil-fouled or fuel-fouled. But they are not lean-fouled.  Make it leaner.  If it doesn't run right because you're too lean then maybe you have a ring-sealing problem.  I'm sensing subconscious "I just rebuilt the engine it can't be the rings" thinking.

Just a suggestion.  And, like others said, get some known plugs in there.  Those multi-electrode plugs are gimmicks.  The basic concept ignores the fact the fuel-air mixture is moving rapidly past the spark point.  It's not a static situation.  All that extra metal cools the electrodes also.  The electrode (ground strap) needs to get hot and stay hot so the carbon burns off.  Gimmick.

Awesome. This is the answer I'm looking for. That the plugs are not getting hot enough to clean themselves. Tomorrow I will order NGK copper plugs. And and I will lean the mix. I really need to install an exhaust with a wideband to dial this car in.

And you are correct. I don't want to think the rings are bad already. I'd like to try all other possibilities before I pull the motor again. My lovely neighbor doesn't like to see un-operable vehicles in my driveway, and likes to complain to the city... Hits the open header 😁

• 2 weeks later...