HybridZ

Scraping sound in 240Z rear end only while turning at speed

DarrenP

I've got a 72 240Z that was recently rebuilt front to back.  It runs great but noticed on a drive yesterday that when turning at speed (e.g., >30MPH) with some side load on the car going around a curve I can hear a distinct scrapping sound in the back.  It's fairly high pitch, and sounds somewhat "Tinny".   No tires are rubbing on anything, and wheels are tight on the hubs.   Any views on what this might be?  Something with the bearings?   Brakes dragging a bit in the drums with a turning load on them?    Something with the axels?   

Thanks!!

Darren

On 10/4/2021 at 1:38 PM, grannyknot said:

Do you know if the rear wheel bearings were changed during the rebuild?  Is it a continuous sound that is consistent with the speed of the car? Rise or fall in pitch?

Thanks.  I don't know if they were changed, but the sound seems to come from both sides, though a bit louder on the right side so would seem strange if both bearings on left and right side went bad at the same time.  I'll check though for sure since I was thinking bearings as a potential issue as well.   Thanks

On 10/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, NewZed said:

Might be the backing plate rubbing on the drum.  Happens if you set the strut down wrong or accidentally hit the plate with a hammer.  You'll see rub marks if that's the case.

Thanks for the thought.  I'll check and see if perhaps something happened on both the right and left rear hubs to see if there's any sign of scraping....