HybridZ

Need drivers door patch panel

fusion

My 1976 280z driver's door has a unpullable dent at the top right where where the mirror bolts to it.  It's in an extremely tight location and I don't think I can pound it out.  Wondering if anyone has a rusty door that they could cut out a patch panel out of.  I *think* any year 240-280 should work but not 100% sure.

20211021_211619~2.jpg

Edited by fusion

• fusion changed the title to Need drivers door patch panel
  • 3 weeks later...

Just an FYI, depending on how big a patch panel you intend to use...the early year doors have the hole for the door lock knob in a different location than the later year cars.  Not a big deal; nothing that can’t be worked around.  Just wanted to let you know so you aren’t surprised.

Have you performed any metal work yourself? That little area doesn’t look to bad. I bet you could fabricate a replacement with a sheet of 20-gauge steel, hammer+dolly, and MIG welder. It won’t be perfect, but even a replacement section from another car won’t be. You will still need a small amount of filler or glaze prior to paint. Very few people can perform a flawless steel patch in a contour without any filler of any sort (even if just primer). Try hammering out a little piece yourself in a bench and see how she looks! 

On 11/8/2021 at 8:29 PM, jhm said:

Just an FYI, depending on how big a patch panel you intend to use...the early year doors have the hole for the door lock knob in a different location than the later year cars.  Not a big deal; nothing that can’t be worked around.  Just wanted to let you know so you aren’t surprised.

Thanks man, good info.

On 11/8/2021 at 11:31 PM, AydinZ71 said:

Have you performed any metal work yourself? That little area doesn’t look to bad. I bet you could fabricate a replacement with a sheet of 20-gauge steel, hammer+dolly, and MIG welder. It won’t be perfect, but even a replacement section from another car won’t be. You will still need a small amount of filler or glaze prior to paint. Very few people can perform a flawless steel patch in a contour without any filler of any sort (even if just primer). Try hammering out a little piece yourself in a bench and see how she looks! 

I have done patch panels before.  I could probably make it but not worth the time to me when I can just buy a panel that's already in the perfect shape.  (I did already get a patch and welded it in)

20211106_172750.jpg.104783ccd0c9c68e1439c6cffd03c0e6.jpg

Also, not sure why anyone would attempt to make a patch without using any filler unless you're working on a DeLorean.

Edited by fusion

@fusion nice! Looks good.

so there is an alarming trend whereby folks “freak out” over using filler. Probably because there are some hack jobs out there with 1” deep spots. I think it’s impractical to attempt a steel repair without SOME kind of filler. Sounds like you are practical guy, and we’re on the same page. 

1 minute ago, AydinZ71 said:

@fusion nice! Looks good.

so there is an alarming trend whereby folks “freak out” over using filler. Probably because there are some hack jobs out there with 1” deep spots. I think it’s impractical to attempt a steel repair without SOME kind of filler. Sounds like you are practical guy, and we’re on the same page.

Thanks man.  Definitely.  

• 2 months later...