HybridZ

ZCarDepot Fan Shroud and Mishimoto 12" Fan?

Hey guys,

I recently had my harmonic damper fail and replaced it with an ATI Damper. The ATI has a much smaller single v belt pulley, meaning that my manual fan and alternator are now both spinning half as fast. What's more is that I nearly pegged my temp gauge while stuck in traffic for about 30 minutes and it was 60 degrees outside!

I'm looking at getting a fan shroud and dual fan set up to maximize cooling. I also started a thread over here about some turbo ideas I've got running linked here 

Anyway, overheating is only going to be more of a concern if/when I undertake this turbo install, especially with risks of detonation.

Has anyone here used the ZCarDepot twin 12" fan shroud in combination with Mishimoto's 12" race line high flow fans? Links below.

https://zcardepot.com/products/fan-shroud-for-electric-fans-radiator-240z-260z-70-74?_pos=5&_sid=b2a7e84a7&_ss=r

Fan Shroud for Electric Fans Radiator 240Z 260Z 70-74

https://www.mishimoto.com/race-line-high-flow-fan-12.html#features

Race Line, High-Flow Fan, 12"

I'm going to need a much stronger alternator to power these fans in addition to my normal systems. My current alternator puts out about 60amps. Anyone have any recommendations on alternators that push out 100 or more?

Edited by NorthStar

I had that shroud a while back, it's a nice piece that bolts up to the mishimoto mounting ears. Ended up traded it and made my own for some 12" spals because I wanted more clearance in front of the engine. 

For the fans it looks like they're rated at 1850cfm each so with 2 you pullers should be fine. I think the stock mechanical fan was rated at ~2600cfm but maybe others can chime in. 

Lots of great references on this site as well

5 hours ago, Dat73z said:

I had that shroud a while back, it's a nice piece that bolts up to the mishimoto mounting ears. Ended up traded it and made my own for some 12" spals because I wanted more clearance in front of the engine. 

For the fans it looks like they're rated at 1850cfm each so with 2 you pullers should be fine. I think the stock mechanical fan was rated at ~2600cfm but maybe others can chime in. 

Lots of great references on this site as well

Did the 12" spal fans not fit the shroud? I've been wanting to use that shroud as an off the shelf option with some spal pullers. 

Edited by Zetsaz

Is that just a flat piece of aluminum? Seems pretty straightforward. Might go that direction. The one from Z car depot is raised right? Not sure how necessary that is, considering there's already a gap between the core and the mounting surface. 

Yes just a flat piece of AL. So far as I can tell the ZCD bends serve 2 purposes: (1) air gap for those rads that don't have it and (2) add rigidity. With the Mishimoto rad you have an inset portion between the mounting surface and core so if you wanted to and has access to a large enough brake you could add some bends inwards on the top and bottom of the plate for rigidity. I would do this before you start cutting the holes for the fans. Alternatively, tig on some flat AL strips in those same areas or just use thicker AL. With the way it mounts at 4 corners though there's minimal flex

Gosh, I never had any of these cooling issues. I wonder what is different…

I have had either a clutched fan or a single 14” electric fan at some point on the L24 or the L28et, and in either case my temps in traffic never got much hotter than 200. Specifically, no shroud at all. Must be something fundamentally different about our driving styles. 

PS: the trans. cooler that comes integrated w/ the Mishimoto radiator is a sealed closed loop according to the manufacturer. I see you have caps on the nozzles, but I wouldn’t worry about coolant leaking out. I understand if you just want a prevent stuff from getting in there. 

Is this the solution for overheating during long stop and  go traffic? I have a 1972 240z with stock plastic fan clutch? Everytime i get stucked in traffic whenever i start cruising again at high speed car tends to misfire and acceleration will not smoothen until car temp starts to decrease to 3/4 to 1/2 gauge. 

I do have a carb heat shield installed.

• 2 weeks later...