HybridZ

Weatherstripping

fusion

I am painting my 280z and will be replacing every piece of weatherstripping on the car.  I am going with Vintage Rubber front and rear windshield gaskets since I want to go 'Cal style' without the stainless trim.  I am also going to use Kia Sportage weatherstrip for the doors and hatch.  

I believe these are the most critical seals on the car and people have had issues with some brands.

But for the rest of the car, I am wondering if it's worth paying a premium for Vintage Rubber, or if the cheaper seals on Zcardepot (Precision?), or another vendor are totally fine 

Any comments welcome.

I recently bought both kinds . I couldn’t see a huge difference . I have precisions seals on my Z . The door in particular is just as bad on the both seals . Good luck finding Kia seals - maybe used . 
Some seals are only available at Vintage . I wanted the 1 piece hatch seal and only vintage had that 

• 2 weeks later...

The Vintage Rubber front and rear windshield gaskets can (maybe) be made to work, but they are extremely difficult to install.  At least they were on my car.  After a huge struggle I got the rear one in place, but I can't even describe what an ordeal it was.

In the front I wound up cracking the windshield trying to "persuade" the gasket into place.  So I had professional installers come in from a place that specialized in vintage car window glass.  They struggled with the gasket for over an hour and could not make it work.  I finally gave in and had them use an OEM Nissan gasket ($$$) that I was going to sell because I figured I could use the Vintage Rubber gasket.  The OEM one went in a breeze.

I think the problem with the Vintage Rubber gaskets is just that they are slightly too stiff and the rubber is a bit too hard to work easily.  I do realize, however that our choices are limited.  

I don't know what else to say though.  I could not make the front one work nor could the pros.

Edited by Ironhead

Thanks for the replies.  I'm sorry to hear of your experience with Vintage Rubber Ironhead.  I am planning to go with them as they offer the no trim Cal style front and rear glass option.  From what I've seen, most others have had good experiences.  But this makes me nervous

I installed a new windshield two winters ago using the Vintage Rubber "Cal Style" gasket.  Maybe I got lucky; but had no problems during the install and no leaks since.  Used the common "rope" technique to install -- me on the inside of the car and a friend applying gentle pressure to the glass on the outside of the car.  Warmed the gasket up in hot water before installing it to soften up the rubber.

I will definitely use Vintage Rubber again in the future whenever I get around to replacing the gasket in the rear hatch glass.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
13 hours ago, ZaldyGM said:

My uncle is looking to get Vintage Rubber as well. Too bad to hear about the difficulty in installation. Got to finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the pick-up truck first before we can clear the garage and take her in.

Can we ban this guy? Throw in joyce_mor too. They're either really convincing bots or just human shills that post generic compliments on random threads and then every few posts slip in an ad for 4wheelonline. 

Maybe there are a few folks (my self included) who would be willing to moderate if we were provided permissions but maybe Cary or someone will read. I enjoy the forum and don't feel it is a huge impediment (periodic spam) but I'd be happy to help delete the bots.

Same. Hybridz is my "bored and need to kill 10 minutes" method of choice, so I look at essentially every new post that is made on the site. I'd be more than willing to do something productive with that time and clean up the spam/bots.

• 5 weeks later...

Ditto for me.  I guess I haven’t been paying close attention to all the clues for spammers and bots, but I do try to report the obvious spammers & phishers when I see them.  Happy to act in some limited “Admin” capacity if it helps lighten the load on our Moderators.

Edited by jhm