HybridZ

Z Car Depot 79-83 280ZX front brake Caliper Kit

Like a lot of you out there, I'm sure, I need all-around brake components on my 1983 ZX. As others have noted, the offerings are becoming very sparse. I recently ran across The Z Car Depot Front Brake Caliper Kit. Can anyone offer their perspective on this kit? Any  comments would be most appreciated. As an aside, it's good to see the prices/appreciation for these cars continue to elevate and grow.

Thanks

Dan

i just looked and i didnt see any "kit" let me know part # if you have one. i seen that the calipers they have are out of stock. Zcardepot and zcarsource are both good companies for replacement parts. there is getting to be more aftermarket parts for 280zx's also. not sure if you are into stock replacement/ mild upgrades / or performance parts? there is options for any way you want to go.

G-TEC:

Thanks for the response. It is a bit hard to find on their site. The part# 650-385. I have dealt with both companies and they have been fair to me so far. I thought this caliper kit was interesting even though it is overpriced. Again, thanks for the response and I would be interested in your "take". I'm interested in all of the above as far as parts are concerned. I've had this car for 36 years and so far it is an all original paint and interior car.

Dan

@danc430, that's a really good find on your part -- thanks for sharing!! 

I agree with your assessment on the pricing; but that's hard to measure since the stock ZX calipers seem to be NLA.  (I looked for a couple of months when I was considering using the ZX calipers with vented front rotors on my 260Z; and had zero luck finding those OEM 280ZX calipers.)  If you do decide to purchase this kit, please post your impressions once it's installed...I'm sure a lot of folks would be interested to hear how well it works.

As a bonus, for anyone wanting to upgrade their stock S30 front disc brakes to vented (a la the "Terry Oxendale upgrade"), this kit would seem to include everything needed except the rotors, which are readily available from anyone (I found the best pricing on RockAuto last year, FWIW).

jhm:

I'll definitely let you know. I talked to one of their tech guys and they are using a GM caliper which I'm also OK with. I found 82-83rear ZX calipers recently at NAPA. (They are more than likely re-manufactured by Cardone which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

G-Tech:

The ship sailed on the stock engine/transmission around 20 years ago. It's a Chevrolet Performance ZZ430 clone with a 700R transmission. I bought a 3.54 R200 differential and just picked up a Quaife LSD so this is going to be an expensive year for the car. Thanks for the info Guys.

Dan