HybridZ

83 z help

wilzguy

I have an 83 280zx 5 speed and i installed a new ignition after the old one froze and now all it does is click and i recharged the battery thinking it was dead an still nothing the car turned over 2 years ago with the OEM ignition not this one tho i have read all thr forms and still need help please 

Start with the basics.

-Have the battery tested at the auto parts store to make sure its not bad

-Clean and make sure the battery terminals are tight. 

-Clean and check the ground strap to the chassis and the ground strap to the motor

-Make sure the main cable to the starter is clean and tight as well

Did you replace the ignition switch (where the key goes), or a different part of the ignition system? 

The most common reason for just a click is dirty battery terminals.  Make sure that they are clean and tight, at both ends of the cable.  Watch out for those clamp-on terminals they go bad often.

If you apply battery power to the starter solenoid terminal the starter should turn the engine.  Make sure the car is in neutral.  You can do this with the key off, using a piece of wire from either the battery terminal or right at the starter motor.  Even a screwdriver works if you know what you're poking at.  That will tell you if it's a switch problem or something at the starter or battery.  

BBB Industries has a good diagnosis video that might be worth watching.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=536171&cc=1209394&pt=4152&jsn=440

image.png.9060634bf03d17871a88f92c89fc8398.png