HybridZ

LS1 street cam recommendations

My Ls1 is getting completely rebuilt due to having an oil consumption issue (worn rings). It's basically stock aside from intake, headers and a 2.5" exhaust. The engine builder wants to know what cam I want. I've contacted four places and I've yet to hear a response (supply chain issues?). I see Jegs and summit both have cams in stock if their websites are to be believed. The problem is, I can't read a cam spec to save my life so I'm looking for recommendations (and part numbers?).

The car is just a nice weather street cruiser so I would prioritize a fat midrange above peaky high rpm power. I have stock valve springs too but I'm willing to swap them out as needed. Also its a t-56 manual trans. 

Thanks for any recommendations!

Watch some Holdener videos. He states the lift and duration. They're not "all the same" but any big cam manufacturer should be able to sell you a cam that makes power on an LS1 and if you stick with similar lift and duration, you'll get similar results. It's not hard to get a big bump. 

Edited by JMortensen
Picked a bad sample video

If you want lots of bottom/ mid-range power, avoid a lot of overlap. The tighter the LSA the more "chop" you'll get at idle which will give a novice tuner fits. 

Upgraded springs are required for pretty much every cam out there and you'll also want to upgrade to LS7 (Delphi) lifters and you will need a custom tune. Summit actually has some good budget friendly LS cams (I think they hired someone that worked for Comp to design them). 

Thanks for all the responses. Lots of good info! I agree that our cars are so light, they can afford "some" loss of bottom end power. I called comp cams and they were very helpful in spec-ing me out a cam kit (w/ new springs). They said I'd gain about +70 hp with a fat midrange. I cant even imagine my car with that much extra fun lol.

• 1 year later...
On 4/28/2022 at 10:42 PM, nick-james said:

Thanks for all the responses. Lots of good info! I agree that our cars are so light, they can afford "some" loss of bottom end power. I called comp cams and they were very helpful in spec-ing me out a cam kit (w/ new springs). They said I'd gain about +70 hp with a fat midrange. I cant even imagine my car with that much extra fun lol.

Howdy, Nick!

Did you ever have this Comp Cams camshaft installed?   I'm thinking about putting a similar cam into my car this spring while the engine is out, and I'd love to hear your opinion of how the car drove afterwards.